Ken asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 2 weeks ago

Does anybody know the true reason that YA is shutting down?

• Cee
    1 week ago

Another attempt to control the masses.

• Dick
    1 week ago

Verizon !!!! When Verizon bought Yahoo, I said that things would go downhill pretty fast. I got blasted for my answer. At that time, I said that Verizon had ruined everything they had ever touched. I still believe this. Verizon broke Yahoo.

• Bill

1. Money. The site doesn't generate enough revenue to justify continuing the service.

2. Views being presented that Verizon execs disagree with and don't want shared on their platform. Many liberal corporations have already done this on their platforms and yahoo(Verizon) already started doing this last year when they removed comments to their "articles". 

3. Lack of motivation to fix the website by doing simple things like moderating the forum and fixing forum bugs. They claimed the issue was trolls, but in reality the issue is Verizon not banning trolls. 

I also find it odd that Yahoo(Verizon) goes through a lot of trouble finding ways around browser filters when it comes to their news stories showing up on the top of the forum page, but then doesn't even bother having ads on the site. Who besides Verizon does that? lol

Because a lot of worthless white people are on yahoo contributing toxicity to the community. 

See, I KNEW you bunch of dronespawn needed a Marxian like me to explain to you how the capitalism you idiotically support actually WORKS.

They bought Yahoo for the legacy tech, name recognition for advertising, licencing agreements and/or ownership stakes that Yahoo had with other companies, etc etc. AND THEY GOT RIPPED OFF. Yahoo has been doomed since 2006. I'm shocked and amazed it stumbled around, like a dead chicken without a head, this long.

Over the years of its decline from what was once the largest giant of all time in a new industry to a almost defunct has-been subsidiary of a megacorp, what Yahoo can charge now because of MUCH lower traffic means a huge plunge in ad revenue. I'd bet the rent that they don't make all that much more than it costs for them to run it. And as opposed to when Yahoo was big, these days servers and networks can handle WAY more traffic and the hardware is MUCH cheaper, and tech skills MUCH more widespread and much cheaper on the labor market, so the fact that they're making only a small profit is even worse than it sounds in terms of performance, since most of their costs are much lower now.

Verizon has already extracted most of what they can from the corpse they foolishly purchased, and they're going to shut down the services one by one.

That's how it WORKS.

Ha ha I bet the leader of the currently dominant stockholder faction in Verizon has fantasies about strangling the leader of the executive faction who got the bright idea, "Hey! Word on Broad Street is Yahoo can be had! Let's buy it!"

• Elana

I think Liz is certainly right on the first part:  MONEY.

It doesn't generate much revenue.

I know, for instance, that when I visit the site, I am exposed to NO ads (my bookmarks take me directly to the meat of the site).  If I'm seeing no ads, ultimately, Yahoo isn't getting paid by any advertisers for me to see their ad.

So, it takes a *LOT* of users stumbling into the site the hard way (which does show you ads) to generate enough revenue to justify keeping the servers running.  People who continually visit the site just don't contribute to the bottom line.  The level 7s out there just don't generate a penny for Verizon.  Not a penny.

Had Yahoo designed the site to force more users to deal with more ads, it might have been a better financial model though obviously users would be less likely to return.

As with most "the user is the product" web models, the tradeoffs continue to change.

I think the quality of questions and answers has declined, but I don't actually think that's what's closing the doors.  There are too many other similar social media options out there diluting the number of patrons, and the existing patrons don't generate enough money to justify the service.

Most likely it's due to the hate filled people that post insults all day and every day.  I can't tell if it's one of the many multiple account multi personality freaks or just too many sad people.  Thankfully amongst all the shiite, there are some true diamonds.

i hope not. im gonna miss it lol

• Foofa

It isn't profitable and it's customary when a buyout and liquidation occurs for the less monetized facets of the acquired property to be mothballed.*

*Also what "Anonymous" said.  

Media companies have been closing out ways for people to challenge the status quo since 2016. You’ll notice that’s around the time many news sites in particular started removing the comments section because readers would routinely challenge the narrative in the articles.