Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

This might sound like a stupid question, but is it possible to get PTSD after a toxic work environment?

I joined a start-up company back in January 2019. Long story short, I had a toxic manager, and ended up leaving in July. I should also note that I was in therapy from April 2019 'til August 2019 because of this situation. After I left, I definitely felt my confidence levels decrease, and I'm sure that's the reason why I didn't do so well in interviews.

Fast forward, and I got a new job in October 2020. And I'm it's going well! My manager and coworkers are amazing, and the work environment is definitely much more lax and rewarding. I've received accolades for my work, and I'm even going to be featured in the March newsletter!

HOWEVER.... I still feel like I'm not doing well. I guess you can say it's like imposter syndrome, but x100. I burn myself out while working on projects. I can't sleep at nights. My Apple Watch shows that my heart beat rises to 150-175 bpm during our morning meetings. Today I received a surprise shout-out saying that I exceed expectations and I'm a great asset to the team, and I automatically cried - thoughts from my previous job came up.

But that's not all - these thoughts come up even after work hours. I can be working out, and I'll have mini-arguments in my head about what I went through, and then I feel unmotivated to continue working out. Or they pop up randomly while watching a TV show. I can't go to certain parts of NYC anymore, because I want to avoid my manager.

I'm currently in therapy once again, but I wonder can this be PTSD?

Hey! I just want to say - I'm definitely not invalidating the experiences of others that went through much more terrible situations at all. From my understanding, you develop PTSD when you go through a traumatic event that may negatively affect your livelihood. I also read that "symptoms include flashbacks, nightmares and severe anxiety, as well as uncontrollable thoughts about the event", and I experience all of the above.

Why don't you see a therapist and let him or her decide on a diagnosis?

• Kate

What you described it not PTSD. What you described sounds pretty normal for someone who goes through a rough patch at a job. TBH we all have fake arguments with ourselves in the shower about things or situations we wish we could’ve changed haha. 

PTSD is brought on by severe trauma. This is not even close to what would be categorized at even trauma. According to your elevated heart rate & the fact you are trying to avoid your old manager in NYC, it sounds like you might be suffering from anxiety. That’s about it. 

PTSD is caused when you experience a serious threat to life or welfare.

That you would even consider writing this takes away from everyone that truly has post traumatic stress from actual significant stressful events like WAR, SEXUAL ASSAULT, VIOLENT CRIME, OR SEVERE ILLNESS, etc

Having low self esteem and lacking confidence is not pstd.

But you clearly have some mental illness...

NYC is 10,000,000 people and even standing outside your former workplace waiting for your former manager to approach, they probably wouldn't even notice you unless you called out to them.

Congratulations on your success.  It always feels good when this happens.  It's not uncommon to have unexpected emotions when something really cool like this occurs. 

Doesn't matter you're trying to change what I thought and was told.