Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

How to I convince my parents to let me graduate a year early?

Im a twin and I want to be able to have my own graduation and my own milestones to be celebrated. Just one thing that’s about just me. I’ve told my parents I want to graduate highschool my junior year and go off to college. My mom took it as a personal attack and keeps asking my I want out so bad. Neither of my parents will let me go to college early and they won’t help me succeed at my goal. I’ve been asking them to prepare me as they see fit for college but they adamantly refuse to prepare me one year early. My mom said I can take college credit my senior year to achieve the same outcome but if I told her it’s because I want my own graduation she would shut me down right then and there and tell me I should love my twin more. Please help please please. My older brothers get their own graduation and everything why can’t I? It’s one year. 17 vs 18 I really want this and neither of them are making any effort to support me. I’m on my own

Favorite Answer

You sound way too smart to want this, because it's a terrible idea.  (I'm not downplaying your feelings & I'll get to that in a minute).  Anyway, I loved hs, but my best memories are of senior year.  Everybody's making and comparing plans, there's tons of cool "senior" stuff, etc. The other problem is age.  You'll go off to college a full year behind everyone else, and most likely, around 1.5 years.  This matters a lot at your age.   People learn and grow senior year and you won't be as mature as the rest.  My sister got paired with a younger roomie her freshman year and she begged them to put her with someone else.  The girl was nice, but just not ready. 

With this said, odds are high your parents have made some mistakes for you to feel so strongly about this.  I know 2 parents of twins, and they make a very strong effort to individualize them, because if they don't, the "dominant" one will eclipse the other.  So I suggest that once you realize how dumb this idea is, talk to your mom.  Tell her you're dropping it & you'll do senior year, and then "confess" the real reason. It  might make her stop and think, or maybe do more to make each of you feel special and unique on graduation.  She'll be a lot more cooperative than if she thinks you hate them so much want to bail a year early.  Besides, regardless of anything else, your graduation WILL be unique, simply because the 2 of you will be going to different schools and  heading down a different path (I hope and assume this is the case). 

• Archer

I would as why your asking permission. Once your graduated it is "your" choice to go to college unless your relying on them to pay for it. Get grants, scholarships and pay your own way! You seem to have the motivation!

i would just try to appreciate having a twin, i had one all my life until she died couple of months ago, youre lucky

• donnie

Because your parents know best that is why. You are still a minor and your parents have final say in things like this. You don't have to like it but you should do what they say. Just take college credit your senior year. Your not on your own your parents want to see you succeed. Until you're a adult and move on your own your under your parents care and they just want what is best for you. Other people bring up good points about academic, intellectually, emotional development, and many other things. We are not here to back you up when your parents tell you no to something. You need to be respectful and obey your parents. They know what they are doing more then you do.    

Are you intellectually capable of graduating a year early, and will a college accept your academic record?  Are you emotionally developed to leave home a year early?  Have you considered simply to follow the routine and graduate with better grades, then go to a separate college away from your twin?

Your twin could help if both of you explained to your parents the challenge of being both a twin and an individual. If your twin won't help, ask your parents if you could see a therapist, who might be able to help you solve this or accept it.