Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

How do I tell the landlord that I have changed the locks?

He keeps irritating me trying to enter my property for bug sprays and other nonsense (he really just seems nosy and annoying).  I decided to have the locks to the door professionally changed so he is no longer able to access my apartment.  

25 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

By changing the locks, you have barred a property owner from access to the property that he owns. This is illegal as he, or his agent acting on his behalf, may need an entry in the event of an emergency. Normally, the landlord may enter your property for a purpose as long as they give you advance notice although in cases of emergency, they don't. If water was leaking and flooding another apartment, that landlord has the authority to enter and find the source of the leak. By changing the locks you've prevented him for doing such and could be financially responsible for the additional damage caused by the delay in his gaining entry.

• 1 month ago

You cannot do that. Change the locks back or give your landlord the new key.

By law, your landlord needs permission to enter your rental , with at last 24 hours notice.

DEMAND that he gives notice and gets permission first.

Send him an e-mail letting him know that you know the law ( but, first do check the law in your state) and document that he has entered without notice on occasions x, y and z in violation of your tenant rights. Then state that you require sufficient notice and that you must be present for all and any entry by him and/or his workers.

• L
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

What you have done is ILLEGAL.  As long as you are renting - you can NOT change the locks...........only the landlord can do this.  Since you've already done this - you MUST give the landlord new keys or risk being evicted because you've broken your Rental Agreement/Lease.

• garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

why it isnt your property!! the landlord owns the property not you , and he can inspect any time he likes uninpeaded , its his property and you can be evicted for damaging his property .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You tell him and you give him a key. Failure to do so is grounds for eviction, an illegal lockout on your part, and the landlord can call a locksmith and have the locks changed again at your expense.

• 1 month ago

Illegal on your part.

Insect infestation needs to be sprayed for multiple times to kill the newly hatched bugs.  No access means they spread again to the rest of the building. 

• 1 month ago

You can't lock out the owner of your home. YOU don't own it--he does. If you don't like his behavior, you need to address that issue with HIM--not change the locks. That's illegal in most places even if the landlord attempts to gain access more frequently than you like. 

Talk to him. Let him know you find his visits intrusive. Make him give you at least 24 hours notice before entering your property. If he won't comply, find another place to live. 

• 1 month ago

The have key pads to export  banks in Australia they place on machines 

Source(s): They key pads to extort money from banks they banks they can place they pin machines be careful
  • 1 month ago

The thing is though... it's not your apartment. You're legally required to give him keys.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

He can evict you for that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.