Do car salespeople hate it when a customer brings a scan tool with him?

I'm in no way saying ALL car sales people are dishonest, but I also want to know if the used car I will buy has nothing wrong with it that may have been recorded inside the vehicle's ECM. 

Are they likely to get angry and tell me to leave?

If they refuse to let me check their cars with a scan tool should I just find another car dealership who will let me scan the cars?

Favorite Answer

Many "scan tools" won't pick up all issues and the cheap ones can even have malware that affects your laptop or smartphone; IF (thankfully never would be) I was selling vehicles that would be a hard "NO WAY." What you DO want is to be able to take the vehicle to an independent technician who can give the rig a look-see. You want to have a relationship with that garage/tech or at least inform them of your intent. If a dealership or individual seller doesn't allow for that to happen then walk away politely. Yeah, it might cost you to get the vehicle inspected, but you know what you have then at least. 

The scan tool will NOT read anything if the codes were cleared or the battery was replaced.  A test drive is a better way to check the car.  If they will not allow you to test drive the car, you walk.

I have had one person refuse me. What the code reader does for you is to check if the light was erased or if there are codes in there that aren't turning on the light. People do erase the codes right before you come to test drive. A P0420 and others take a long time to show up. This has helped me many times.