Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

what really is "passive aggressive" behavior in plain, basic english?

Update:

why do people do it and how to react to them (if have to be around them)? why?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Jim2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Being aggressive, but in a sneaky and roundabout way. Someone gave me an example once, that I thought was good. He said his dog peed in another dog's water dish, instead of openly attacking this other dog. 

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

By being seemingly controlled and passive but also aggressive.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The "aggressive" part is saying or doing hurtful things to another.  The "passive" part is denying being hurtful was intended.

• 1 month ago

Passive-aggressive behavior is when a person does not react or respond emotionally as you would expect from ordinary normal people. 

They conduct themselves as shallow emotionless individuals by giving a blank stare. This can be very intimidating and unnerving because they are socially awkward or lack social skills to express themselves appropriately.

Do not confuse assertive behaviour with passive-aggressiveness. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

They are angry or upset with something you are doing or have done.

A part of them wants to confront you directly and tell you what the problem is, but they are too scared to do that so they resort to passive aggressive behavior.

Passive aggressive behavior can be: sulking/silent treatment, slamming doors, making sly hurtful comments, leaving you 'notes' like "Everyone should wash their dishes in a timely manner", excluding you from some group activity, the list goes on...

Course of action? it depends on who is doing it, for me:

- if it's your romantic partner, then work hard to resolve the issue.

- everyone else, ignore :)

• dybydx
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

By pretending to be hurt or offended but act like its okay.  In that way you make someone feel guilty.

• 1 month ago

Ignore them, or dont hangout with them.

• garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

best way to put it if you insult some one , like calling you a ****** is passive aggressive behavior .

• 1 month ago

An example could be that when someone asks you to do something that you know how to do, you do it all wrong so you won't be asked again.  This is passive aggressive, instead of letting your mother know you don't want to do it, you do it all wrong.  I would get the child to redo with you standing there to make sure she does it right, even though you know she/he can.  You could say, I see you need help with doing this the correct way, lets try it again.  Hope this is not your homework and you are passively aggressively trying to get others to do it for you.  

• Jen
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Being indirect. They want to be mean but don’t want to hurt your feelings at the same time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.