Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

what really is "passive aggressive" behavior in plain, basic english?

Update:

why people do it? how to react to them if have to be around them?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • susan
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Doing or saying something for mean reasons, while pretending that you are doing or saying it for nice reasons. (Or pretending that you are doing it for innocent reasons, at least, when really you know that you are being mean or obnoxious on purpose.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

According to Psychology Today, someone is probably being passive-aggressive when they say something that could hurt you but when "you show that you are offended by biting, passive-aggressive sarcasm, the hostile joke teller plays up his or her role as victim, asking, 'Can't you take a joke?' "  It's a turn around on their victims; their bad, yet they blame their victim for the onset.  

The trouble with passive aggressive behaviour is that people who do this have a difficult time being candid, they may feel insecure but want to be controlling... the best way to deal with this kind of behaviour is to respond in a forthcoming manner, call them on it... as this lets your recipient know exactly how you feel ~ that you won't be his/her target for their misappropriate methods of dealing with people.  Usually a direct confrontation stops or at least gives a bully something to think upon and the person who has felt this stinging bite is less harassed in future times. 

• 1 month ago

It is when someone fights against something indirectly instead of directly.  Or expresses negative feelings while pretending to be kind.

An example would be if you came in late for work and a coworker was upset about it.  The direct person may say, “You came in late and it affects my job.  I’m not happy about that.”

The passive aggressive person might say, “Nice to see you!  I wish I could come in whenever I felt like it, too!”

Passive aggressive people avoid confrontation by nature. That’s why they “play nice” while being mean.  All you have to do is respectfully deal with them with direct language.  Sometimes even mature, healthy direct disagreements make them run.

They will either drop the act and work with you to solve whatever the issue is, or they will avoid the issue altogether.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

it means very competitive in a very subtle way. they do it so they can feel superiorly intelligent

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.