Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

what did you do when your floppy disk lost its format?

whenever you put your floppy disk in the computer that you knew had data on it and it prompted you with the message 'this disk has not been formatted' 

what did you do?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Clean the floppy disk drive then try again. Anywho, since it's me, I would've backed up those contents to a CD/DVD or portable drive already so no problem.

• John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Floppy disks didn't lose their format, there was only PICNIC.

And I leaned BASIC on punchcards and a room sized computer.

• 1 month ago

See if you know anybody with a copy of SpinRite.

It is a disk repair and recovery tool.  In this case, it will simply grind away on a disk, trying to read it over and over again, thousands of times.  It only takes 1 attempt where it can read the data to be able to recover the data.

• 1 month ago

Either the data was corrupted or, more likely, I grabbed the wrong disk.  Formatting is old school language for hard reset, that’s all.  My first data processing class was in the summer of 1985. I remember those days well.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I took a q-tip with alcohol and cleaned the heads. Sometimes another drive would read it too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.