Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

I'm 17 who's gone through trauma and i'm not ready to become an adult. ?

i'm female and get mistaken for being 13 for how i look physicaly and for being 5 foot...I feel a part of my childhood has been taken away from me. I still feel like a kid that still needs to hold their mums hand still... I'm... im not mentally ready AT ALL! im so scared! im not ready for society to view me as an adult yet when i still look like a child physically and emotionally. What do i do?

Favorite Answer

No 17 year old is ready for adulthood. We now offer a period of extended childhood, through going to college/university, or living at home. So don't panic- you don't have to suddenly become a home owner or a parent. I do know someone who, like you, looked 13-14 when she was 20. She enjoyed it, thought, and she enjoys it even more now when she's 45 and looks 30. 

• Rita

For information on particular mental health problems you might be experiencing, see our mental health A-Z. Feelings of self-blame. People who go through trauma ...

I’m 27 and I still live under my parents roofs, you don’t need to panic, grow up when you want/need to society will still be the same, I still get asked for ID at 27, calm yourself and when your ready you will know it

Within less than a year, you will be a legal adult.

there is NOTHING you can do about it.

However, you should ask your family doctor for a check up and some lab work to rule out a thyroid disease, hormonal imbalance or other internal problems that may cause you not to age properly such as Turner's Syndrome.

After that is ruled out, your doctor can refer you to a licensed mental health provider who can do psychological testing to see why you are behind.

Your childhood is over.

Get with the program!

I had a 5 ft tall gf long ago who had a similar appearance and didn't want to act like an adult.

• There’s nothing magical about the age of 18 (aside from being able to vote and buy lottery tickets), unless you move out. I’m also 18 and I don’t feel like I’ve changed at all since I was 16. 

Unless your parents plan on kicking you out when you turn 18, you have nothing to worry about.

When you turn 18, some systems will treat you as an adult, sure. Legally, on paper, you'll be an adult. But most adults will still view you as very comparatively young. People only 5 years older than you will still view you as a child. You absolutely don't need to change your behavior, your needs, your wants, and your support systems as soon as you turn 18. Take the new opportunities that come with "adulthood" as a nice bonus, but take your time. Even as an adult, you should give yourself the time to live the parts of childhood you feel you are missing. That's completely okay.