Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Should siblings pitch in for dinners?

My parents are getting old and can’t afford to pay for family events. My older sibling said we should all pitch in a small amount or split the costs food, deserts, drinks, etc. is this fair? Should I be pitching in some deserts or food? Everyone else is.

Favorite Answer

Yes, this is fair. When we get together with my husband's family we all agree to bring different items for the family event. 

• dman63

It’s completely fair.  Make up a list with your siblings and decide what everyone is bringing so you’re not doubling up on food items.

• keerok

When my wife goes out with her mom and siblings and decide to split the bill, they don't include their mom. At the very least though, her mom presents her senior citizen's card for a discount.

If your parents can't afford to provide for family events then either somebody else provides or the family events stop. The two obvious options are either taking turns hosting family events or sharing the costs of each event. 

If it's going to be a pot luck meal (people bringing prepared food) then someone should coordinate who is bringing what. You don't want 2 lasagnas but no vegetables or dessert. 

that wouldnt be a bad idea

Yes, it's fair and a nice thing to do for your parents.