?
? asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

I want ingredient advice for my cabbage soup ?

So my cooking pot is only medium sized

And I’ve already filled it with 10 chopped carrots

And 3 chopped potatoes one large and 2 small

So how many tomatoes or cuts of cabbage should I use?

And how much olive oil or grape seed oil should I use in my soup for cooking? 

• kswck2
    Favorite Answer

Don't know why you would make a tomato based cabbage soup. I often make a corned beef and cabbage soup with the leftover corned beef from St. Patty's day with beef broth. 

I would only use 2 carrots-you really only want to give each diner one of two chunks of carrot anyway. 

In a Medium sized pot, I would use about 1/2 a small cabbage head, and I would 'shred' it with a sharp knife. Potatoes are fine, but I would add some roughly chopped onion as well. Oh, and use a bay leaf. 

If you are adding meat to it, use a sweet sausage, fried up separately and drained and crumbled. 

You really do not need any oil, unless you want to fry up the onions a bit before adding everything else. 

That's way, way, way too many carrots.   Your soup is going to be too sweet.  

Where's the onion and garlic?   What spices are you going to use?  

If I were you, I'd take out 2/3 of the carrots, add a sauteed onion and a pound of browned Italian sausage.

No tomatoes.

You only need enough oil to saute your carrots and onion.

Ten carrots? Throw out 8 of them. You'll have more room and it will taste mich better.

Stop about 1 1/2" of water from the top or it will boil over! I never put tomatoes in soup, and our carrots in Russia are BIG, so ten would make 5 gallons of soup. (that was a shocker- then l remembered USA carrots) A, one single, smallish tomato should do and as much cabbage as the limit will go to raise the water. Do you add 100 - 200 grams meat?