Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 2 months ago

What do I do if my bank has closed my checking account because there were fraudulent deposits in my account?

I've had someone send me money via direct deposit into my checking account multiple times. However, my bank (Chase) has recognized these as unemployment direct deposits that were not intended for me. Now they have closed my account and won't give me the remaining amount because of those deposits. I had no idea the direct deposits were coming from unemployment or else I would not have taken them. Now, I have fraudulent deposits on my Chex systems report and can't access my account at all. What do I do if there's anything I can do?

You can repay any and all that money that you wrongly spent and stop with all illegal scamming, or you will be heading to prison before you know it.

You contact the bank and get the REAL story. What you claim IS NOT the reason the account was closed.

Make an appointment to talk to the bank manager. 

If you did this knowingly having your bank account closed will be the best thing that can happen to you.  As you are actually guilty of Fraud.  It doesn't matter if you "knew" they were coming from Unemployment.   Since this is YOUR account, YOU are responsible for knowing what is being deposited.  Ignorance is no excuse.  

If the unemployment Department in your State discovers this, you could actually be charged with several Felonies dealing with this Fraud.  They could also get you on conspiracy if you did this with another person.  All of which could get you several years in prison and huge fines.  If they can prove even in the smallest way that the person depositing the money was doing it fraudulently.  

As for Chase.  They will likely give you any money in your account that you can prove came from another source.  But in the mean time they will likely hold all of your funds for 1-3 months until they can be satisfied that no other issues are going on with your account.  

You can try to plead your case with Chase, you may need to go into a branch directly to see if they can help you.  But go in expecting nothing.

Seriously, you want us to believe that when the money was deposited in your account that it didn't say where it was coming from?  Sorry, but I don't believe that.

If your friend owes you money, you get that from your friend. Together you can contact Chase and let them know that is was legitimate money.

If it's not really a friend, you deal with the consequences from taking money from someone you don't know.