Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Air hammer runs by itself?

I have a chicago pneumatic air hammer. Use to work great. Now through as soon as air is attached it starts running at low bpm without pulling the trigger. Pulling the trigger will bring it up to full speed so I guess technically it can still be used...but it's very annoying trying to use it. What's the issue and what do I need to do to fix it.

Update:

So the issue was pretty simple...as one person answered, I just had to oil it...I'm not the best at oiling my air tools, especially because these are work tools so I don't really care as much. Yeah my own tools intake care of better but sometimes it doesn't always happen with the work tools

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Oil it..............

• 1 month ago

Run some Marvel Mystery Oil through the air inlet to see if that helps. Sounds like some debris or water is in your air compressor and gunked up the air hammer.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Remove the valve and clean it.

The thing you push with your finger is the ON-OFF valve.

Do you feed lube oil into the device like you're supposed to?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you have no skills to fix it, it is time to get a new one.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Read the owner' handbook.  It talks about oiling it.  You are not doing that.    To stop it now throw it on the concrete floor and it will shut up.  The check ball is sticking because you are not oiling it. Nothing to take apart.  But there is an oil hole. That get a drop or 2 of the CORRECT LUBE.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is leaking air past the valve that controls the speed, or something is preventing the valve from closing all the way. Probably needs a thorough cleaning and some o-rings replaced.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.