Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

digis asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

English speakers, could you help me?

Could anyone tell me if I wrote this paragraph correctly and whether it sounds natural to an English person? I myself am not a native speaker of English (below is the findings from the slaugtherhouse inspection report, I know this is a veery complicated piece, it was difficult to translate).

The slaughterhouse is divided into two parts: the area for slaughtering animals in accordance with the Jewish tradition and the area for killing animals according to the Christian tradition.

The air inside the slaughterhouse is stuffy and odour is offensive.

The premises of the slaughterhouses are poorly lit; the are now windows or ventilation; the sunlight reaches the indoor spaces only through an open door.

The walls have a whitewash layer applied directly on the old dirt.

Uneven and rotted floor is soaked with blood.

Favorite Answer

Your paragraph is not entirely correct. It should be written like this:

The slaughterhouse is divided into two parts: there is the area for slaughtering animals in accordance with Jewish tradition, and there is the area for slaughtering animals in accordance with Christian tradition.

The atmosphere inside the slaughterhouse is stuffy, and the smell is offensive.

The slaughterhouse is poorly lit and there are no windows or ventilation. The sunlight reaches the indoor spaces only through an open door. The walls have a layer of whitewash that has been applied directly on to the old dirt. The uneven and rotted floor is soaked with blood. 

The only real mistakes are "odour" instead of "the odour" and "the are now" for "there are no."