Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

Should I work night shift?

• donnie

I suppose if you want

Usually it's hard to have much of a relationship with people who work hours wildly different from your own hours. If you have kids, they will for sure be on the day shift and you'll probably see a lot less of them. If you and your sweetheart don't have the same days off, the same hours off, it will get in the way of spending time together. And same for spending time with family.

Also, you will need to sleep different hours from most people. Are you sharing a home with people who are getting ready for work in the morning? Will you be coming home from work while the people you live with are sleeping? 

Besides your home life, family life and social life, it could interfere with your interests and hobbies. Will you be able to hit the gym on your way home at 4 a.m.? Continue caring for your garden? Take Fido to the dog park? 

• Aiden

Been working night shift for 3 years. I'd highly advise against it. 

You might like working night shifts. It suits me personally. But there are a lot of cons that make it not for most people.

You're always tired even if you get plenty of sleep so if you try it out and decide you don't like it, you're too exhausted to look for another job. When you do get job interviews, you'll be going to them in the afternoon which is your equivalent of after midnight. Want to book a holiday? You're going to need to book extra days off to account for adjusting to swapping your sleep schedule over.

But hey, I'd recommend doing some research. Try looking on the nightshift sub-reddit since people on there offer their help a lot.

Only if master Dirac allows you.