Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 month ago

Biliruben test shows elevated levels cause for concern ?

Doctor says I’m at 1.3 normal is 1.2  he said should I be worried ? He mentioned my liver enzymes being elevated with this number 

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

They should have ordered a liver function panel. This would include a direct bilirubin which would help understand the nature of the total bilirubin although it is very mildly elevated and just barely outside the normal reference range. If the direct is elevated then it means there is liver involvement. Your liver enzymes as mentioned by your doctor are elevated which means that there is liver damage. You also mentioned that you are itchy which is why testing was undertaken in the first place which can indicate elevated bile acid (salts) which can cause itching. Normally that comes from cholestasis which means there is a backup of bile. 

That's where we stand now. Many benign causes and some more serious. Obviously more testing is needed which may or may not indicate a liver biopsy in the future if blood testing is all negative for viral causes like EBV and other hepatitis viruses.

Edit

The bilirubin is not used to assess severity of disease. It is used in diagnosis only. It doesn't make any difference if it is slightly elevated or greatly elevated. That isn't what determines admittance to hospital. Other test are used in assessing severity of liver function. 

Like always your doctor is following up with you and he is better to evaluate all of this. 

• Kieth
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Why ask us? You were RIGHT THERE with your doctor. That said, my wife had a level of 9 when she died from cancer, 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.