Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

My dryer shocked me, after I dried a small rug in it.. have I damaged my dryer or is this static electricity built up? ?

If it was more than just a static charge shock check the connections at the dryer. If they ground wire is not securely connected you can get a shock. You may also need to check the connections at the outlet in the wall and in the service panel. If you are not comfortable doing this call an electrician. 

Static and flowing current feel much different. I could tell the difference.

• y

Anything is possible but I'm inclined to think, that it was just a static charge, next time use a dryer sheet or something to reduce that.

You better be careful that you don't get electrocuted. That goes for any pets you may have in the house. I would think that you could tell the difference between a static charge and an electrical shock. The best thing to do would be to get someone knowledgeable to look at it.