Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What can I do about this landlord?

So I have this landlord and suckered my mother into renting this crappy house that he painted over and didn't fix. He says he's apart of Duke realty but I called the company and he's not even associated with him. We're over here in Houston Texas and I'm not even sure who to talk to other than a lawyer.

25 Answers

  • 1 month ago
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    If he is "apart" of Duke realty, and the realtors said he wasn't associated with them, then he was correct

  • arther
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

    if hes a slumlord as in the place is a shithole that shouldn't be rented.

    Get him on site and put his head thru every window. Some of these slum lords annoy me with what they call acceptable then hide behind the law to get their money and do the same thing over and over.

  • 1 month ago

    You can't do anything about your mother's decision. Obviously, she's legally allowed to live wherever she wants, and despite the landlord's deception, she chose this place. All you can do is try to convince her to move somewhere else--but be careful you don't harass her or try to bully her into it. That might damage your relationship. A  lawyer isn't going to do anything unless your mother is incompetent to handle her own affairs, and you have her declared your dependent or ward. 

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    your mother agreed to rent the property , so what the problem anyway , she did inspect the property before she signed the agreement . Take him to court and let the judge decide , simple isnt it .

  • 1 month ago

    Talk to the lawyer. 

  • 1 month ago

    Are you trying to get out of the lease?  If the landlord is misrepresenting himself and Duke Realty, then you may certainly have a case to terminate based on misrepresentation.  A lawyer is your best bet here.  If what you say is true, Duke would want to stop this from him as well.

  • 1 month ago

    If he's representing himself as being licensed and he isn't report him;

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Not sure what the problems is.   Contact a lawyer about what?

    The lease will have the contact details and also the responsibilities of both landlord and tenant.

  • 1 month ago

    Read your lease for contact details.

    You need to report any issues to the landlord in writing .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.