Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 month ago

How to start an introduction for an essay ?

I’m not supposed to use “in the book” for the essay I’m writing. So, I don’t know how to start the introduction. 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Maybe start with a hook.  Is there a theme in the book that the reader can relate to in their own life or is there are theme/conflict that is similar to a well-known real world problem?  If you're allowed, you can even reference something from your own life, and use "I" to refer to yourself.  My teacher let me do that once.  A hook could also be a quotation, as long as the quotation is related to the content/themes of the book.  Then, after you'd have to include a couple sentences relating the quote to the book.  THEN, you could use "In the book" (or "In the novel")...

• Depends on the subject matter.  Try to include the subject matter by name in the first sentence.  Eg.  If subject is global warming say ... “Since the early 1970s the subject of global warming has been raised by many scientists in the climate field.”  Don’t forget a brief summary in the last paragraph of your essay.  

• 1 month ago

You could start it by saying:

This essay is to discuss....

This essay is written to explain...

This essay is to give you my opinion on...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.