Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

What are some good autobiographies?

I like funny, weird or inspiring. Thanks

harry potter? No man. I'm taking of real people

• j153e
    Favorite Answer

A Street Cat Named Bob;

Autobiography of a Yogi;

Surfing the Himalayas;

West with the Night;

Up from the Projects;

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!;

A Warrior's Path;

The Story of My Experiments with Truth;

The Most Holy Trinosophia of the Comte de Saint Germain;

Eyes of the Tailless Animals;

Flares of Memory;

Inside the Aquarium.

• Herve

Hitch-22 by Christopher Hitchens

I recently finished reading.....Looking for Trouble: An Autobiography from the SAS to the Gulf Command

by General Sir Peter De La Billiere

The dude led the most extraordinary life, and took on impossible challenges and made them work.  A thoroughly fascinating read. 

My Dark Places by James Ellroy is definitely dark. Not an autobiography per se, but A Shot in the Heart by Mikal Gilmore is one very personal true story about his brother, Gary Gilmore. If you like true crime when it gets personal like it's your mum that got murdered, or your brother got put before a firing squad-these are the books to read. 

"The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano" is about a man who lived in the 18th century, and who was kidnapped as a boy and sold into slavery. He tells the tale of how he was bought and sold by various masters and traveled throughout the British Empire and eventually earned enough money to buy his freedom. He also goes into some detail about his spiritual struggles and conversion to Christianity.

"The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin" was unfortunately never completed, but it's the story of most of the life of one of the greatest Americans ever. Lots of fascinating insights on politics, religion, business, and life itself.

Both books have great insights, not just about their authors, but about the times they lived in as well.  

I like the second world war by Winston Churchill

• Zac Z

"Born a Crime" by Trevor Noah - I don't know about weird but certainly funny and inspiring at the same time.

Five that I really enjoyed many years ago were B.F. Skinner, Thomas Alva Edison, Samuel Clemons, Madame Curie & the legend of Hiawatha. All were inspiring to me, but of course, we do not know if Hiawatha was factual or not. However, Longfellow captured the Native American tale very well and the spirituality of the culture in 1856 when he wrote "The Song of Hiawatha." Native American Culture is further explored in a textbook named "Face of the Fox."

Skinner, of course, was responsible for the development of Behavioral Psychology. In many ways, the books he wrote and statements he made prior to his autobiography tell an interesting story up to his life story because his theories were based on operant conditioning and he was challenged quite a lot. And within that story the debate about genectics and upbringing became known as "Nature vs. Nuture." His biggest confrontation came after he wrote "Beyond Freedom & Dignity" and said that Jesus was not altruistic.

Then a Christian theologian attacked him in a brief book named "Return to Freedom and Dignity." In it, Francis Schaffer said Skinner must have had a bizarre childhood to say such a thing. That lead to Skinner's autobiography.

So if you read the series of books starting with "Walden Two," followed by the book mentioned earlier and then Shaffer's response, then Skinner's life story it makes for an intriguing and entertaining read as Skinner responds cooly to his critics and dismantles their arguments. It's actually rather funny to see Shaffer rant about Skinner being crazy in a crazy frontal assault and Skinner just being "well, ya see" in his replies.

Overall, very good writing and you don't need to be a psychology nerd (like me) to enjoy the work. Skinner's work laid the foundation for today's Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (C.B.T.) and was fundamental to sales training courses such as offered by IBM & Xerox, as well as much of the basis for Management By Objective (MBO.)

I'm not sure if Edison's life story counts as an "auto" biography. I read it when I was eight years old.

Shortly thereafter I started reading Mark Twain and read his life story growing up in Hannibal, Missouri as Samuel Clemens, to name a third life story I found inspring as an adolescent. I'be been to Hannibal many times and explored the childhood haunts of Clemens and his characters.

There are others on my list but these 5 stand out here in the U.S. for me this morning. Ernest Hemingway & some ancient Roman & Greek figures had fascinating life stories but I can't say I read biographies per se. And I will mention the autobiographies my Grandfather & GGG Grandfather wrote as well as the book written about my Great Uncle. All three are rather obtuse but reflect the eras of their lives well. The only one I have see that was listed on Amazon was the one about my Great Uncle: "Colonel Joe: The Last of the Rough Riders."

I like Harry Potter. Now, I know it's labeled fiction and I KNOW that it was single handedly responsible for the Warring States period BUT I still think in a way, Harry Potter is a autobiography for all of us, for we can all find aspects of our own life's journey reflected in Harry.

• Tasm

Forest Gump