Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

My younger brother came out to me as gay. I told him it would take me time to accept it. He attempted suicide. What should I do?

I feel really bad about telling him that I dont fully accept his sexual orientation. But its the truth of how I feel. It will take me time to accept his orientation because I dont believe in homosexuality.My mother accepted him right away and so has most of our family.However, my Dad wont accept it at all. When COVID is over my parents plan on getting him into a childs psych ward so he can get help dealing with his depression. 

He is 16

I still love him and told him I will always care for him but that I dont agree with his choice to be homosexual. 

• Archer

Nothing, his choice is "his" choice and your not responsible for his choices now are you! Your not required to ratify his choice so he feels better in it no more than he has to change his because your uncomfortable with it. Do some research for many gays will attempt and commit suicide because even they are not happy in their choice. 

• T J

Too bad it was not you who tried. He does not need pysc help, he needs you to accept him and love him.  BTW, he was born that way, blame your mom.

• Foofa

Start by asking yourself how his sexual orientation affects your life at all. In reality it doesn't. So maybe be a little less judgmental. Saying you "don't believe in homosexuality" is like saying you don't believe in gravity. This exists, just like a lot of things you probably wouldn't do yourself. Your brother needs a therapist, not because he's gay but because his intolerant family has lead him to attempt suicide. It's irresponsible for your parents to wait until the pandemic is over because every psychology on Earth is conducting remote sessions with patients. It sound like Mom is the only reasonable person in this mix so you should explain to her that she can arrange for a therapist now and doesn't have to just sit around waiting (until your brother manages to complete suicide). 

You don't BELIEVE in homosexuality?  I don't believe in cancer.  Both still exist.  Perhaps the wrong family member is going into a "psych ward."

Your brother needs your support.  It took a lot of courage for him to "come out."  You don't have to agree with his choices in life but you can be a good listener and let him know you'll always be there.

print out as many pictures of naked women as you can find, then when he's out cover every surface of his room with them and lock him in there

• Whether you believe in homosexuality or not is pointless.  We don't choose our orientation; it's just who we are. Your brother was born gay and nothing is changing that.  You "could" have chosen to be supportive of him and be an ally; instead you led him down the path of suicide.  Something that you are completely at fault for.  Same goes for your parents.  If they don't love their son because of his orientation then they don't love him. Period.  

What you can do is simply be there for your brother and let him know that you love him and even though it's hard for you to be accept and that it will take you awhile to accept it that you still love him unconditionally because right now he feels alone,scared ect the scariest thing for them is not to be accepted by the ones they love and be disowned so please try and understand how scary this is for him specially since your father is not willing to accept this hopefully over time he will be able to but until then be there for your brother anyway you can, I wish you and your family nothing but love and happiness 

How old is your brother? What do you mean, you don't believe in homosexuality? You don't believe it exists? Or do you think it's a choice a person makes? It's been pretty well proven that sexual preference is innate- people are born with it. It's very possible that other people knew this long before you did. I knew about a friends son when he was an adolescent- before he really knew it himself. No psych ward is going to take a kid just because he's gay. There are horrible "deprogramming" groups who claim they can "cure" homosexuality, but no proof that it works. If your parents do try this, your brother probably really will commit suicide. BTW, gay brothers are great to have- they'll go shopping with you, and probably be charming to your friends.