Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

How to handle really loud upstairs neighbors?

I’m divorced with 2 kids. We currently live in an apartment. I’m very strict with my kids about being quiet, respectful, and quiet hours. We’ve been here 2 years and never ever had any type of issue. In January, college kids moved in above us. It’s been NON STOP partying nightly. I’ve called the police more times then I can count. My 7 and 9 year old kids are in tears every morning from getting no sleep. I don't know what to do. We've begin to look for a home but it could take months to find a home. Any suggestions? I fried to speak with the girls and they told me to f*ck off and slammed the door in my face. 

It's tough when your neighbors aren't really open to communication (( I'm surprised police can't do anything! If it happens very often they're supposed to fine your neighbors. If the police don't help, maybe it's better to move out. There's no point to argue with those people above you, so find another apartment if you can.

You are entitled to the "peaceful enjoyment of your residence".  Most apartment complexes allow noise until about 9 or 10 p.m..  They should also have an after hours number you can call to complain about the noise.  Some have policemen living in the complex and they will come and check the complaint.  If the complex doesn't have this, report the noise offenders to the office ASAP.  If the noise is bothering other neighbors, have them complain also.

You need to make written complaints both to your landlord AND the city or county for noise violations. Start there. The police can only warn tenants that they're being annoying--you can't really arrest someone for making noise unless they are making so much noise it's disruptive to the whole community. If your landlord refuses to handle this, you should see an attorney to find out what your options are. 

• LILL

If the police won't do anything, what do you expect the landlord to do?

in the US, the landlord must legally address this as a violation of your peaceful enjoyment.  but that can also take months.  you need to make a written request to the landlord.  landlord needs to give them a warning and then move to evict if they continue.   with covid, that will take a very long time most likely.

you can purse charges in the local court.  in my state, that is likely a case that you have  to write up the actual criminal complaint yourself and give to the court to process.

What kind of complaints have you made to the landlord?  Just calling the police will usually get no results because (as I am sure you have discovered), as soon as the cops pull away, the noise goes back up.

Report this to the landlord.  

Also - it might be time to allow your children to make some noise during the time when you think they might be sleeping.  Since it sounds like they party all night - sometime around 7 am would be a great time to let your kids have some fun playing a game of "let's wake the people upstairs".  

Why haven't you reported it to the landlord?  He can't evict them on what he doesn't know about.

maybe you should get another apt while youre looking for a house

• donnie

Well you need to call the manager about this and tell them what they told you. If they don't do anything talk to the police. You can't really fix stupid 

Speakers attached to the ceiling directly under where you think their beds are starting in the morning and going for several hours.  No need for you to be there.

I have to ask where the landlord is in all this though.  Calling the police is one thing, but the landlord should be directly notified as well.  I'd call throughout the night when you're being kept up even if it's just a recording.  Then follow up with an in person visit the next morning.  Always put everything in writing as well for documentation.