found this nasty gunk in the side buttons of my mouse, does anyone know what it is and how to prevent it?

there was quite a bit, i dug most of it out with a knife.

Favorite Answer

You'll probably find that same gunk in any seams your tv remote has too. Or controllers, or any other plastic with small spaces like that you handle a lot. It's just gunk from your hands. And... yeah. You leave that on everything you touch. Just imagine all the material from the fingerprints you leave on your phone's screen, but finding places to collect and build up.

I like using toothpicks and cotton swabs dipped in isopropyl alcohol to clean that stuff.

Source(s): And if this disgusts you, clean your keyboard too. Seriously, those quickly become the grossest thing in your home.

Oil and what happens when you click without cleaning your hands.

I clean my hands constantly cause I wipe an *** for money, hahahaha (Cargiver).

4 people come over by my house and use my remotes, so I Clorox them.

When the Pandemic started and the "Scalpers" started selling for 3x the msrp, I was pissed!!!!

I NEEDED these things and random people just wanted to make a buck.

I quit my job late 2018 to keep my Mother from going into a "HOME", so she could stay here.

Then all this **** went down and it put my efforts into question.

That is Oil.

If you are handy, take it apart and Qtip the buttons with Isopropyl.

If not BUY a new one and get over it.

Do not allow Frito hands to touch your electronics.

• garry

it comes from your skin , oil and human dead skin , best to clean it off then wash your hands more often you grub .

That is common, when I was cleaning these at my work I used windex and googone and special tools like a pick to get the gunk out. 

It's caked on semen.

Try not to masturbate so much while using your PC... but if you do, wash your hands before you start using your mouse again.

That's from playing dirty.

• User

probably skin cells

oil secretion from your skin

and, if you're not a diligent hand-washer

or if you eat while computing

dirt and oil from your fingers

all of this stuff rubs off on the edges of the mouse

(wherever there's an edge)

and accumulates

A - in the channels and grooves

B - in the mouse itself (seriously - check your wheel, you'll find the same stuff in between the wheel ridges. As it dries it flakes off inside the mouse.)

Gunk from your finger/s I guess. Oil, dead skin, food, sweat.