Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 month ago

Does "respect your elders" apply to only old people, or anyone that's older than you?

Does "respect your elders" apply to a 21-year old trying to handle up on a 40-year old? Or is it for young people disrespecting only Senior Citizens?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

That is only a saying by an old person to get a younger person to do what the older person is telling the younger person to do. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That is an old saying, you should respect everyone regardless of their ages.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It means people who are a good bit older than you are, parents, neighbours, teachers etc.  However, respect must be earned.  Age alone does not give someone the right to be respected IF they behave in a very disrespectful way.

I had very little respect for certain teachers when I was in school - their behaviour did not earn them respect but I had to 'appear to' be respectful so as to avoid any further trouble.

• 1 month ago

It applies to any one who is older than your are, by about 8 -10 or more years.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You should respect anyone older than Your 4 year old mentality. 

• 1 month ago

No.  For example, a 4 year old should be taught to respect their 14 year old babysitter. 

• DS M
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

How old are you?

If you are 3, your parents may ask you to listen to an older brother or sister a couple of years older than you.

If you are in high school, it may mean that you respect people living in the real world.

If you are 30, it may mean respecting the people who are in the places you hope to be.

If you are 60 and in good health, it may mean respecting those who aren't in good health.

Generally, the person telling you that is trying to say, "Don't be a self-righteous, all knowing Bastard" and that the "elder" could teach you some things you don't know if you were open to that.

Hope this helps.

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Respect your elders mean to respect someone older then yourself, not necessarily an elderly person.  To be honest you should always show respect to everyone you meet, show respect and respect will be shown in return.

• 1 month ago

It refers to anyone who is a fair amount older than you, not just seniors.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i think it applies to everyone

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.