Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Trying to improve my French in Montreal as an anglophone is frustrating... why can't people understand that I WANT to speak French?

I am anglophone from Vancouver that has been living in Montreal for the past 6 months. I came here because I love the French language and want to live my life in French. I do everything in French here: groceries, renting a car, ordering my food... etc. My French is pretty good for an anglophone and I can speak and understand just fine. The only problem is just about every time they hear my accent, they switch to English so I don't get to practice my comprehension. Many times, even if I persist and continue in French, they'll keep responding in English. And yes, I've asked them to speak French before but if feels awkward everytime and it's like why do I have to put in all this effort to practice your language? Quebec people complain all the time that their language is threatened in Canada but they don't seem to be doing their due diligence to keep it alive.

And I know what you might be thinking... Montreal is not the best place to improve your French because everyone speaks English, if you wanna perfect your French, you should go to some rural place. Thing is, I'm a big city person and I just find it's not fair because if a francophone wants to improve their English while still live in a vibrant big city, they can go to Vancouver or Toronto and no one will try to switch languages on them. They are able to perfect their English in Toronto a lot faster than I am able to perfect my French in Montreal...

2 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

When les Quebecois speak to you en anglais you reply en francais. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Just tell them you don't understand English so well ( even if not true)... 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.