? asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How much to charge for dog-sitting?

I am being asked to stay at someones house from a friday evening until sunday morning to stay with their dog. How much do I charge? (I don't know exact hours, but it would probably add up to roughly 4 nights) but I don't know if overnight people charge by the night rather than hourly?

Okay re: "You're not a professional". I know that, and they know that. Think of it as more of a courtesy request. We are both well aware that if I ask for a certain amount they can say "that's too much for me" and I will say, thats okay, what do you want to pay, etc. I think they are trying to be nice and ask what I would LIKE and if its reasonable they will pay that. What would be a REASONABLE amount to request?

Realized from the answers I TOTALLY didnt notice - i meant to write "40 hours" not 4 nights. Not sure what my brain was doing there.

I dog sit for people in their homes while they are away.  I charge by the DAY not by the night  In my area people start rates at $60 a day up to $100 a day for one dog.

As much as you can get

(c/p)  Pet sitters charge $25 to $30 a day on average, depending on the services involved. The average cost of a 30-minute visit is $25, while overnight pet-sitting costs $75 to $85.Sep 14, 2020

National average cost: $25-$30

Low-end cost range: $15-$20

High-end cost range: $65-$90

Pet Sitting Rates: Overnight and In-Home | 2021 Prices ...www.thumbtack.com › Cost Estimates

Keep in mind you are house setting too.  Don't be stingy & go for the highest amount, you are not a professional dog/house sitter.  Be reasonable.

I used to do the occasional day or weekend sit for my neighbour for free.  But she'd do the same with mine. 

However, when they had their annual 3 week vacation, we sat their dogs.  Their cottage was over the road so although one of us would be with her's during the evening, feed, exercise etc., we didn't sleep over as we'd hear any disturbance from our home - windows open as it was in the summer.    I based my charge on what they'd have to pay a boarding kennel.      Unfortunately, and being no business-woman, that fee remained the same through all the years from the time I first started as I didn't feel I could ask for an increase.   I also wanted to keep our relationship a good one as on the odd occasion we needed to be away for a day or two, no money was exchanged.   Included in my charge was the fact they had 3 dogs, 3 cats, we kept their grass cut, watered their plants, brought their mail in and so on.

Your charge would include your travelling costs if any + whether they paid for your food, or you.

• OTTO

Depends how much of an inconvenience it is for you, and whether you eat their food or receive other favors.

That does not add up to 4 nights.  In fact, depending on what time you actually go over there on Friday night and what time they get home Sunday morning, that would be less than a 48 hour stay.  Here's a good rule of thumb to follow:  Call THREE boarding facilities and ask them what they charge for a 48 hour stay.  Take the CHEAPEST quote and charge 1/3 of that.  If this is for a close friend, I wouldn't charge anything but you didn't say who asked you to dog-sit.  What did the "asker" offer you or did they ask you how much you'd like to be paid?  You aren't licensed and insured, so take that into consideration as well.  Make sure the dog owner writes down any specific instructions for you including the telephone number of their own Vet and an ER Vet if needed.  Have the owner have some "paper" signed by both of you as a legal agreement, even if it's that "instruction" paper.  Make sure you have the telephone number of the dog's owner, just in case you DO have to call them if the dog should need to see a Vet.  Since a dog is considered to be property, it would also be your responsibility to keep this dog safe at all costs, meaning that you can't let it slip out the door or have it stolen from the back yard if you leave it out for very long and unattended.

Besides all that I mentioned above, why not just accept whatever they're willing to give you whether it be cash or even a gift card such as a visa card which can be used for whatever you'd like to use it for.  Are you going to be at the home ALL of the time or are you going to be coming and going throughout the day and just staying there at night to sleep.  That makes a difference too, but I sure as heck wouldn't be "charging" them an arm and a leg, especially since this might even be a venture that you might just totally enjoy.

300 for a day to cover any attacks or damages to the person or to their belongings.

You're not a professional (for lack of a better word) so you can't charge anything - you'll have to accept what they want to give you. And if that's nothing then... 

Edit: whatever they want to pay you, let them name a price. Why not offer to do it as a favour for them?