Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Change it or hold off?

I recently had repairs done at the dealer on my Honda. They mentioned the oil pan gasket has a leak because of old age and it needs a new one. They did not say it was an emergency. I spent a nice chunk of change on the repairs that were just done, so I told them in another couple months I would send it back for the new gasket. I noticed in the garage it leaves a few drops of oil on the floor, but not a big puddle. If I monitor the oil level, is waiting 2-3 months ok so I can replenish some funds?

Try cleaning around where  the oil pan and engine meet then apply a layer of gasket maker silicone all around. $5. Do not drive the car until it settles. Your basically applying a gasket to the outside border so it doesnt continue to leak.

It's odd how they didn't just sell you an oil change and add the pan gasket replacement on top of that. Assuming the leak is coming from where the pan is attached to the rest of the engine, I would get it replaced as soon as possible. Make sure you check the oil level every or every other time you are at the gas station. 

Some grease monkey told my dad the same thing on his '96 Caprice 15 years ago after he spilled oil all over the engine while doing an oil change. I looked at it and told my dad what was up. It's still on the road after 250K miles with zero gaskets replaced in all of this time. Most oil leaks originate from higher places on the engine, like if they spill oil of some part on it while servicing it. Most common leaks that end up down around the oil pan are from the valve cover gaskets or the intake manifold gaskets and so on. A helpful thing to do, every spring, is to buy some engine cleaner or just use dish soap or something like Purple Power, and squirt it on the engine and then hose it down with hot water. Hit the radiator as well to get the dirt and salt out of it after winter is over. This washes off salt, dirt, and spills, and old residues. If the engine is clean, it's a lot easier to monitor any leaks that may pop up. 

SO LONG AS U "monitor it"  Like pull the dipstick in the morning BEFORE YOU START THE ENGINE.  That is the level in the crankcase.  Having an extra quart or 2 on the garage shelf would not hurt.  With the screwcap lid, you can take some out and add. and if there is some left in the quart, just screw the lid back on as it NEVER GETS OLD.   You can add later when it is needed.  Do not overfill otherwise you can lock up the engine and it don't work no more.

. Repairs?  On a Honda?  If you spent a fair amount of change on repairs I can only guess it was engine work of some sort....like valve guides.?  Obviously not the bottom end otherwise they would have replaced the pan gasket and charged you for it.

.  2-3 months...try 2-3 years if you keep up on the oil checks, cause I am guessing you are burning oil too.

.  It doesn't leak for the reason of age.  More like "blowby compression is getting into the crankcase and those seals are not MEANT TO HANDLE HIGHER PRESSURES-that means anything above similar air pressures is too high for them(gaskets & rubber(or cork) seals, & paper gaskets.  That is why they are short bolts and only torqued down to 10pounds(approx)

.   The engine is showing its distance it has traveled(or age)as it takes time to stuff on the distance.

• ?

Have yo tried high-mileage oil to help soften the dried out gasket so it reseals?

Change it. Be nice to your car; its nice to you. A pan gasket won't put you in the poor house.

Check your oil level every 500 miles to see if the level changes much. If you only use a quart every 3,000 miles I'd keep the oil level topped up and just drive it the way it is. If you get oil on the garage floor put a piece of cardboard where the drips are showing up if it bothers you.

If you keep an eye on the oil level, you could go for years like this.

• Ron

A few drops isn't a big deal. Unfortunatley for you, oil leaks are a thing with Hondas when they get older. The oil pan is just the first

• ?

I'd check my oil regularly & if you don't have to add (much) between changes--let it go.  However, with that typed, on most Hondas, pulling the oil pan to change the gasket shouldn't be a tough job.  You could easily do it yourself.