Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 month ago

Can I get food stamps if I have a $5,000 savings account?

I currently have no income at all and cannot work right now due to having PTSD and depressive disorder. I am in therapy and on meds trying to get better. Will I qualify for food stamps if I have a savings account but no income? 

Yes, you can, but they're $10,000 a pop for cretins.

if they know you have that i doubt that you get it or if they later find out they'll probably stop you

i know somebody that was getting food stamps and they found out she had a $10,000 life insurance policy that could be cashed in for $700 and she was told she had to close the policy or will dropped from the program because they look at the policy like a bank account. 

The answer depends upon where you live.  Laws vary.  Check your state's website for information on eligibility.  If you can't find an answer there, call or email them.

Probably not.   But, I would talk to a caseworker first.