If omitting ingredient from recipe should I still add the time to ingredients already cooking? ?

Apologize if the title sounds confusing. I've added the steps in the part of the recipe I'm referring to below. If I want to leave out the mushrooms, would I still add the time (5-7 mins) to what is already cooking in the pan since it would've received that additional time IF I had added the mushrooms or would I just omit the added time as well?

Example: In the same pan over medium/high, add 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp butter. Add onion and sauté 3 minutes until soft. Add sliced mushrooms and sauté until soft (5-7 min), stirring frequently. Add garlic and sauté another 30 seconds until fragrant, stirring constantly.

Removing mushrooms, should I still add 5-7mins to sauté?

Thank you!

Assume that you would need that amount of time, but also keep watch of your onions too. Once they are to the place where they are soft and golden brown, add the garlic and finish as it tells you to. You may need the 5-7 minutes, you may need less, or maybe even a bit more. Just keep watch so that the mix doesn't go past the soft stage.

No. That's to saute the mushrooms only.

• ?

It wont need that 'time' unless you added something instead of the mushrooms.

The bigger question is what are you applying these effects to without the mushrooms? The oil butter and onions are there to flavor the mushroom portion of this dish. The garlic is to but they are trying to not burn the garlic by adding it at the very end. Just cook it a bit. So you're adding garlic to butter, that's either garlic butter or a great gravy for mushrooms.

If you're going to add garlic butter to your pasta(?) do that in the way you would do this without the mushrooms. 

In other words, without the mushrooms to season, the whole mushroom seasoning part can be omitted. However, the garlic butter part is a big part of the whole pasta(?) dish. So you will want to apply that treatment to the pasta in the way it would be applied to the pasta, i.e., in place of the mushrooms you omitted. 

So without the mushrooms, you would still need to caramelize the onions which will take more than 3 mins. But finishing the pasta in the butter sauce wont take 7 like the mushroom would have. 

• CB

You need the extra 5-7 minutes for the onions (they would have been cooking along with the mushrooms) might not need the entire time since the mushrooms would have cooled the pan for while - but all those times for sauteing are just SWAGS it is really just a look, feel and to your liking on how long you cook on the stove top. (Pan, temperature of stove, size of slices and dices etc all play a part. "Feel it", don't over think it you will enjoy cooking more if you do.