Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

i have a 2 antenna set up, can i remove one antenna without radio damage. can i only use one antenna?

Update:

cb radio set up.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Antennas for transmitters can not be fooled with arbitrarily.  The wiring for a 2 antenna setup is as important as the antennas.  It's not simply like an extension cord. 

If you have 2 antennas then the wiring is a phasing connection.  You need 2 antennas. 

If you want to use a single antenna, you need the wiring for a single antenna.  It is coaxial cable.  Then the antenna must be checked and possibly adjusted (matched) using a SWR bridge. 

An improper antenna can damage the transmit output transistor(s) making the radio unusable. 

So my answer to your question is no. 

Visit a place that sells and installs CB radios.

• 1 month ago

The antenna array should be tuned to the lowest swr. Check that before you change anything. Removing one antenna will change the transmit pattern certainly as well as the SWR. You can retune the antenna to the radio with an antenna matcher. Using two antennas at the same time ( cophase ) can increase output gain and make the RX and TX somewhat directional, especially when the antennas are spaced correctly. One antenna can be more omnidirectional, but at the cost of some gain you had with the cophased array. Unless you HAVE to remove an antenna, keep it the way it is. They aren't there for decoration and having the SWR too high can possibly damage the output transistors of the radio.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Remove one antenna and see what happens.  You can always put the other one back up.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Keep an eye on the swr unless you just want an expensive paperweight.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.