Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Does anyone else get really angry when people mess with your own stuff without permission?

Idk maybe I'm overreacting, but I hate it when someone spontaneously changes something in my environment. It makes me feel so angry and annoyed, and I don't even usually get angry easily. It just irks me when something isn't going my way. :/

I'm an 18 year old female btw.. I was asking because I thought maybe something is wrong with me :)

I believe you are a control freak who is stuck in a mental rut. You imply that you don't like anyone changing anything in your own environment. Does this mean your own environment is your comfort zone such as your room or personal space?

Ownership seems to be getting into a dimension of over rated stuff for men now a days.

• Frank

It depends on what it is they mess with.  If they opened my briefcase and sorted through my paperwork I'd be livid.  If they took a peek at what I'd brought in my lunch box I'd be annoyed but would keep calm.

If I were given instructions to do certain work and then the boss changed the instructions once I'd started the task I would not be happy about it at all.

I used to but now I'm relaxed.

It doesn't really bother me.

Eerything isn't going to go your way from today through the rest of your life.  It's just how it is.  Get used to it.

Yes, especially when I thought I knew where I put something & it isn't there when I go to get it & have to play hide & seek to find it.

• Cogito

No - a little irritated, perhaps, but there's no reason to get angry at all.

People who get angry over really minor things are in need of psychiatric counselling.

I often have the same response.  I think it goes back to my upbringing where I felt disrespected.  Messing with my stuff brings back those same feelings of "leave things alone!".

• Mike W

Most people get upset to some degree when someone starts messing with their stuff.  Everything is where it's supposed to be, and they don't like it when they have to look for things because someone moved it, or took it.  It's more upsetting that they never bothered to ask before doing anything.