Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Gigi asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 1 month ago

I don’t understand these problems, please help?

Update:

9) A 1200 kg car moves around a turn of radius, R = 50.0 m. Determine the acceleration of the car and the FNet that must be delivered by the roadway is the car takes the turn (A) at a velocity of 15.0 m/s, or (B) a velocity of 30.0 m/s. Comment on the differences when the velocity is doubled.

Update 2:

10) 

A) Do a force diagram of the cup/water when it is upside down at the top of the circle. (B) Write a force statement, given your force diagram. (C) Given your force diagram and force statement, explain why the water/cup stay on the board. (D) Determine, in terms of R and g, the critical velocity at which the cup/water would fall from the board. HINT: Let FN  0 in your force statement and solve.

Attachment image

1 Answer

Relevance
  • NCS
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

This is far too small to read. But I get the impression in #9 that they want the friction force (centripetal force) and have provided the mass, radius and velocity. Then

F = mv²/r.

#10 looks like the old "water in the upside-down glass" trick. For the water to not spill out, you need the centripetal acceleration to be at least as great as gravity:

v² / r ≥ g

meaning at the threshold, v = √(g*r)

If you need more help than I've given, use Update to type in your question and any necessary supporting data. Hope this helps!

Source(s): Please revisit this working: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20210... and post better images!
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.