Thoughts about Getting a Degree in Sign Language?

I took off about two years of college, I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do and didn't want to waste my time taking classes that I didn't particularly enjoy. However, I remember when I first began to test the waters with some ASL classes, I enjoyed it. I took them at a community college and sadly, they only have a certificate. Should I still just take those classes in order to get those credentials? And then go to a university to get a degree in interpretation? I feel as though this would be a good job to have.

Favorite Answer

The problem is that jobs as interpreters usually require native-level proficiency (in both English and the other language). That would typically be people who grew up with a deaf sibling or parent and have spoken ASL for their whole life.

Just taking classes in ASL, even a bachelor's degree, probably isn't going to make you proficient enough to work as a professional interpreter.  

No, I have no thoughts about getting a degree in sign language.  And your question isn't a book title. Only the first word should be capitalized.