Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Thoughts about Getting a Degree in Sign Language?

I took off about two years of college, I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do and didn't want to waste my time taking classes that I didn't particularly enjoy. However, I remember when I first began to test the waters with some ASL classes, I enjoyed it. I took them at a community college and sadly, they only have a certificate. Should I still just take those classes in order to get those credentials? And then go to a university to get a degree in interpretation? I feel as though this would be a good job to have.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The problem is that jobs as interpreters usually require native-level proficiency (in both English and the other language). That would typically be people who grew up with a deaf sibling or parent and have spoken ASL for their whole life.

Just taking classes in ASL, even a bachelor's degree, probably isn't going to make you proficient enough to work as a professional interpreter.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, I have no thoughts about getting a degree in sign language.  And your question isn't a book title. Only the first word should be capitalized.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.