Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 month ago

Will adding too much smoking pellets in a vertical smoker cause meat to become bitter?

I added BOTH hickory and mesquite smoking pellets on my vertical smoker by throwing them over the hot charcoal by the handfuls , but now my meat taste a bit bitter. I’m also worried I may have burnt it because it has a dark brown color.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

If the firebox had access to oxygen, the pellets would most likely have caught fire and you flame grilled the meat. I have a cold smoker setup, and made the mistake of taking the lid off the smoke generator to add more hickory. I had a fine fire going until I put the lid back on. Since it was remote it didn't mess  up the cheese I was smoking, but I had a small panic.

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Over smoke can make things bitter - you can over smoke too with any wood (been there done that - ribs especially become bitter/acrid). Mesquite is especially acrid. 

I guess the problem you need to figure out is: too much smoke too fast or too long at less smoke.

I have had very good luck in my vertical water smoker using chunks of woods soaked for at least 30 minutes- I just pick oak firewood logs and cut them into 2x3" chunks (not critical).

Ribs, about 3-4 hours of smoke then finish in oven wrapped tightly in foil at 250F

Boston Butt or Picnic - 8+ hours of smoke finish in the oven wrapped tightly in foil at 250F

Chicken - 2 hours of smoke finish in the oven wrapped tightly in foil at 350F.

Salmon - 1-2 hours then finish in the oven at 350F.

When I check the coals I remove the burning chunks of wood and drop them in the soak bucket for later use and pick a fresh one - a little fire is ok but several of them on fire is not. 

Hope that helps - trial and error gets expensive (been there done that). 

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The principle behind smoking over a live fire is the minimum amount of fuel is enough. More just creates problems. 

The burned parts may just be able to be cut off, but there is such a thing as over smoking meats.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.