Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Was it a crime to have sex in public in ancient Greece?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I found the following in a search: 

"(Sex) ... was regarded as no more serious a crime than eating in a public place." Thus, I interpret it like jaywalking. If it's on the record as illegal, it's not enforced unless extenuating circumstances. It gets way more complicated than this.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Technically no. It certainly would have been frowned upon, and may make you a pariah in the community which could ultimately lead to some kind of legal penalties(e.g. Sokrates). The Cynics(kynismos) were known to fornicate in public because their philosophical doctrine encouraged shamelessness towards human nature.

One such cynic, Krates of Thebes and his wife Hipparkhia were said to have had sex in public at Athens. Both were highly respected among their philosophical peers at least.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Of course. Socrates complained of the lack of morals in the youth. Marriage has always been a major building block of society. Their religious morals called for it.

There were no prisons then. A magistrate made the sentence: removal from community, a fine, a beating, house arrest, death or a public apology.

• 2 months ago

I couldn't find a reference that discussed this topic.  They had different mores toward kissing, however, as they used it as a greeting and not necessarily as a gesture of intimacy.  A man wouldn't kiss his wife (unless he wanted to see if she had been drinking), but he would kiss another man when they met on the street.  Public masturbation wasn't a crime, but it was at least criticized as something improper.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Where in ancient Greece?

• 2 months ago

No it was not.

Ancient greece was dam wider place.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.