Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Question concerning 9lives cat food?

Ive seen numerous reviews about how this brand of food has made alot of cats sick and even killed them and im curious if this is even true because it seems odd theyd still be selling it on shelves if it was. Im asking because im in a position where i have to feed the dry kind to my cats and its worrying after seeing all of this and i have no choice in the matter due to me not being the one who buys the food. Is the food actually bad or is it cat specific? Any answer is appreciated 

My mother’s shopper once bought it on accident. Our cat ate it. She hated it but it had no negative affects on her. She’s just finicky.

Source(s): Experience

9Lives is one of about half a dozen different brands I feed my cats.  Actually, they get it a bit less frequently than the others, which include Science Diet, Authority, Friskies, Halo, Royal Canon, etc.  My theory is that a well rounded diet likely to include everything they need is more likely if spread over several different manufacturers.  And a variety keeps them interested.

Meow Mix is the absolute worst, and filled with useless colorings.  I have a tenant who has more cats than me, and I threatened to evict him if I caught him feeding his cats with Meow Mix!

This is going to sound like a commercial, but I swear by Science Diet, which was recommended by my vet many years ago when one of my cats got sick.  I've tried various 'grocery store' caliber brands and they all largely seem the same.  But when I give my cats science diet, they just seem healthier than other people's cats.  Their fur is SO soft an cuddly, and so forth.  Grocery store brands always seem to produce a certain amount of coarseness or greasyness.  I've had more than a few cats in my life, and I'm telling you, diet makes a difference.

I doubt there is anything actively toxic in 9 Lives.  There are too many ways that can come back to hurt your company.  But that's not the same as saying it's the best for them.  Sure, science diet costs more.  But I pet my cats every day...and IMHO the premium for how much softer and cuddlier they are seems worth it to me.

• Maxi

"9Lives Protein Plus With Tuna & Chicken and 9Lives Protein Plus With Tuna & Liver have been recalled due to "possible low levels of thiamine (Vitamin B1)." ... According to the FDA, "Thiamine is essential for cats," which is why the possible low levels of thiamine in the cat food was cause for alarm."

• PR

I have had cats for about 50 years and have fed 9-Lives for about 30 of those years. I have never had any problems with this cat food. I might add that it may not be the entirely highest quality food, but our cats have been healthy and lived to between ages 15 and 20 years.

During this time I sometimes change off with other similar brands, (who wants to eat the same thing ALL the time) but I NEVER feed the store brand due to even lesser quality. I have recently added a bit of Nutro food in the mix which is a higher quality food for health purposes. We found Nutro to be a great kitten food when fostering baby kittens.

We feed this way: 1 cup dry food/2 tablespoons canned food/1+cups water, all mixed together. We feed the amount that does not cause the cats to become obese - two times per day. Cats, and dogs alike, need TWO feedings per day, or their livers will suffer.

We also take the cats to the vet if needed, which is very important. Besides that, we keep a plant called "Dracaena" (dark green variety) available for them to chew on, for digestion. This helps clear fur balls from their system. If the plant is chewed too short and not available, I can almost guarantee the cats will begin to barf fur balls, again. 

Cats should not be given milk due to their inability to digest it, as well as its propensity to cause gooey, weepy eyes. Milk is sometimes helpful if the cat becomes constipated and will in that case help clear things out, but besides that is not terribly great for cats.

https://soilandclay.com/products/dracaena-marginat...