Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Native English speakers, could you please help me with these issues?

Does the term 'thereafter' make sense in this sense:

He asked me: "Do you need any help?”

I knodded my head, and replied in a low voice: “Yes.”

THEREAFTER, he proposed me: “All right, I will help you. But on one condition.”

With curiosity, I asked: “What?”

2 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Does it make sense? Yes.

Is it the best word choice? No.

Does it sound "normal" or "natural"? No.

There is also another problem with the sentence, the word "proposed" is misused.

"Thereafter" usually refers to ALL OF THE TIME AFTER.

Example:

I had a good job, but then I was convicted of a crime. Thereafter, getting a decent job was difficult.

So: "thereafter" is not just "after", but "after and for a long time after".

Definitely not appropriate for your sentence.

Possible replacement sentences for your third sentence:

- He responded: "All right, I will help you. But on one condition."

- He then responded...

- He then proposed: "All right, I will help you. But on one condition."

etc.

• 1 month ago

I guess that's technically correct, but the context is unusual. I generally see the word relating to repayment requirements: "Service will be billed at $50.00 a month for the first 6 months, then increased to the standard rate of $89.00 per month thereafter.

Try posting in Education and Reference in the Homework Help section. Someone there can probably tell you what the use criteria of the word is.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.