Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

If I live with parents and I pay rent, can my parents borrow money from me without asking me first?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • L
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Unless you just have a pile of cash laying around...................they can NOT borrow anything from you.

• 1 month ago

Not unless you gave them access to your money and your bank accounts--which if you're asking, you probably did. They're not "borrowing."  They're taking. Because you LET them have it. Get the picture?  YOU let them have access to your money. So what do you have to do?  You have to put your money in accounts THEY DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO.  Simple as that. Separate your money. And prevent their access. 

• 1 month ago

If they don't have your permission, it IS NOT borrowing.

• 1 month ago

Are you over 18? Are they named on your bank account?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

As a parent, I personally would NEVER take money from my daughters without asking them for it.  I consider it just as wrong for the parent to steal from the child as it is for the child to steal from the parent.  

I don't even care how old the child is.  If the child is old enough to have a job and earn money, then the parent should respect that and not steal from their own child.

Most parents would not tolerate their child getting into their wallet and taking money - so why should it be any different the other way around - especially if the child is already paying rent to help out the household.

Can they - probably.  They already seem to be doing it.  Should they - no.  It isn't right.  If you are over 18 - get a new bank account that they don't have access to.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

How do you mean

• 1 month ago

If you have a joint bank account = yes.

If you are only 18, open your own bank account.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.