Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

how do i ask my parents about this?

i want to ask my parents if i can get tested for a mental illness because i’ve read and researched this mental illness and i scarily relate to it a lot, but i don’t want to self diagnose, i want to get a professional screening. but the problem is that i don’t know how to bring this up to my parents. my mom’s a nurse so she might understand, but i’m afraid that they’ll say that the mental illness isn’t real and that i’m faking it for attention. please help me try and figure out how to ask my parents about this???

You can go to a doctor and ask for screening.

Your mom's a nurse, she'll understand.  Print off a copy of your post and show it to your parents.  This will be the starting point of the conversation.

• Joe

Just tell her you want to speak with a dictor for a personal reason

Shut up kid....

Yeah it's all in your little head 

• Andy C

Is it interfering with your ability to enjoy life?

Traits are much different than disorders. 

• Steven

They will probably be confused and concerned. I'm not sure how old you are, but it may be difficult to convince them. I'm not sure you can just go and say you are mentally I'll. I would say most people that are truly mentally I'll are not exactly aware of it. You seem pretty coherent so whatever mental illness you think you have probably does not interfere with daily activities, or is something like anxiety related or social. I am just hypothesizing of course. Just tell them you think that you have a problem, and you need to speak with a therapist or psychologist. 

Just ask them. Instead of agonizing over what they might say. Ask them, and then you'll know.