Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

how do i ask my parents about this?

i want to ask my parents if i can get tested for a mental illness because i’ve read and researched this mental illness and i scarily relate to it a lot, but i don’t want to self diagnose, i want to get a professional screening. but the problem is that i don’t know how to bring this up to my parents. my mom’s a nurse so she might understand, but i’m afraid that they’ll say that the mental illness isn’t real and that i’m faking it for attention. please help me try and figure out how to ask my parents about this???

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You can go to a doctor and ask for screening.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Your mom's a nurse, she'll understand.  Print off a copy of your post and show it to your parents.  This will be the starting point of the conversation.

• Joe
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Just tell her you want to speak with a dictor for a personal reason

• 1 month ago

Shut up kid....

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yeah it's all in your little head 

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Is it interfering with your ability to enjoy life?

Traits are much different than disorders. 

• Steven
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

They will probably be confused and concerned. I'm not sure how old you are, but it may be difficult to convince them. I'm not sure you can just go and say you are mentally I'll. I would say most people that are truly mentally I'll are not exactly aware of it. You seem pretty coherent so whatever mental illness you think you have probably does not interfere with daily activities, or is something like anxiety related or social. I am just hypothesizing of course. Just tell them you think that you have a problem, and you need to speak with a therapist or psychologist. 

• 1 month ago

Just ask them. Instead of agonizing over what they might say. Ask them, and then you'll know.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.