Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Car intermittently won't crank/turn over?

Reposting my question with more details :)

2004 Mitsubishi Magna LPG.

When left over night or for a few hours without driving it will not crank like it is completely dead as I turn the key. Lights and music still work. I can hear the fuel pump(?) Whine and buzz when I turn the key to Acc.

Battery has been tested and sits at 12.55v.

I have to try a lot of times, sometimes pump the pedal or move the car into drive then park or other random things then it will suddenly crank like there was no issue before hand. (could be coincidental)

Favorite Answer

Very similar issues happen to my 2004 Hyundai Sonata. Turns out there's a glitch in the factory security system, so next time this 'no crank' happens, cycle your door locks using the key FOB only. If this works, then remember to use only the FOB to lock or unlock the doors , when you're going to drive it or park it. You can use the door lock/unlock button inside the car for passengers and such. 

If this 'trick' doesn't work on your car, then it's most likely a failing; ignition switch, starter relay, starter solenoid, starter motor, neutral safety switch, or a bad connection somewhere. 

The starter relay is cheap and easy to replace. The owners manual or YouTube can locate the starter relay. 

It could be a faulty switch for the neutral interlock or on the brakes. I did a search on the subject and it appears you are not the only one that has this problem. Some were on you-tube. Which I would suggest you view in stead of me posting my notes on it.

Here is a link that can be read for one owner who had the same problem:

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-advice/q-and-a/20...

Try starting in neutral.

Maybe its your neutral safety switch, or a starter relay.

you may want to make sure the batt terminals are good and clean and tight, don't bust the bolts but make sure you can't twist the clamps on the posts. give it a try and see if it is any better. if not then you amy have a battery going bad. or a starter solenoid or even the ignition switch.

it also sounds like the neutral switch may be going bad or out of adjustment. 

As the battery appears to be in good shape it may well be a faulty starter motor. Or bad connections. So firstly clean up and remake the connections. WD40 is ideal.

After that the solenoid on the motor may be sticking or dying. I would remove the motor. Clean up the solenoid and the scroll on the shaft with WD40. Then test the starter with a digital multimeter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-RzcsdFoRQ

I had a non start problem and it was rust and muck on the scroll.

Simply checking the battery in the car with a volt meter doesn't tell you the battery voltage response under load. I'll bet my week's paycheck that if you get your battery properly load tested on a test bench, it's dropping below 12 volts with a load on it. Probably under 10.5 volts. You probably need to get a new battery, but before you do, make sure the alternator is producing between 13.8 and 14.4 volts and that the battery is getting fully charged after an engine start. That takes a good 20-30 minutes of driving. If you're making a lot of shorter trips than that, your already weak battery cannot handle it because it isn't getting fully recharged. 

Get a jump.  Car starts every time. the battery is likely dead.

No luck, jump the start relay load side terminals with key ON.  Car starts every time, there is an issue with the start relay, ignition switch, park/neutral switch or start relay ground.  Good luck.