Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why do babies get their ears pierced?

Not trying to sound rude, just genuinely curious. I'm not sure I fully understand why a 6 month old baby gets her ears pierced. I get that she could get other piercings in the future, but I think it will be fun for her to wait and decide if she even wants her first ear piercings. That way she can remember her first piercing. 

So why do some people get their babies' ears pierced? There must be some reason possibly? 

20 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

People in Cuba or of Cuban descent it is part of their culture to have children's ears pierced

• Mystic
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Because their PARENTS decide it's "cute" and get them pierced. I vote leave the babies/small children ALONE. Let them grow up and decide for themselves whether they want piercings or not. No reason to do that to a baby or small child. It's just asking for many lost earrings lol

• LM440
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Babies get pierced ears because their parents exercise their choice to raise their children.  It is easier on the child to get their ears pierced as an infant than a toddler or youngster.  It's being going on for many generations without any problems and most likely will continue.

• 1 month ago

My mom said because she thought it looks cute, my ears was pierced at that age, I am so glad, she got them done when I was that age! As I got me ears pierced again right above the original and that hurt like hell!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Babies don't get their ears pierced.

Adults pierce the ears of their babies. 

Generally it's a cultural norm.

• ALBERT
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

some of the only reasons I could think off are :1/ the process might be less painful as the baby is very young than later in life and 2/ Sometimes I see very young toddlers or babies wearing earrings so of course they would need their ears pierced in order to be able to wear them. But that being said you are completely right in the fact that the baby should have a say in such decisions as the hole in the ears remain for the rest of the life even into adulthood. It just does not seem right that the parents could make such a decision without the permission of the baby no matter how cute earings may look like!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Frankly, I think it is child abuse. A six-month-old child isn’t capable of making decisions like that for themselves and the parents shouldn’t, regardless of how cute they think it is. Where do you draw the line? The next thing somebody’s gonna start giving a child a tramp stamp on their hind end.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

part of their culture

• 1 month ago

cause their parents think its cute

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

maybe they think its cute

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.