Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

401k Roth and Bonus?

Hi,

I already contribute the maximum roth 401k (~19.5k) with my regular paychecks with my employer.

They also provide the ability to contribute as much as my bonus to a 401k (e.g. roth 401k).  If I elect to put like 50% of that too, does that count against my 19.5k limit or is it separate?

Thanks

Favorite Answer

That also counts against the limit.  It is not separate.

If you are under 50, you are allowed a total contribute $19,500 which can be split between a 401K, Roth 401K, and 457 plan.

Tying $19.5K a year into an account restricted by an employer, is a lot of money to be held "hostage" until you terminate employment. 

Limit is 19.5k per year for your contribution unless you're over the age of 50.

Depending on your income, you may be able to fund a Roth IRA outside of your employer's plan.