Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

Lupus & narcolepsy bad. Got fired from job but don't want unemployment because?

I can't actively seek a job right now. I'm 21 but my mom is pressuring me to go on unemployment but I know that means I have to actively seek a job.

I can't walk, currently it's a cane or wheelchair, I can't think straight at all I'm constantly confused (that's why I lost my job I had so much brain fog I couldn't actually do my job), many times I can't even use a pen too long because my grasp is weak. Often forget what I'm doing too. Can't even read anymore because I forget instantly..

I've tried so many different things so far no luck but my friend who is a yoga teacher who had lupus said she will help me this year. 

I don't know what to do about unemployment. I have $15,000 in savings that I was going to live off of until I feel I can do a minimal job and I'm looking into disability but people say disability doesn't give you much and takes forever. I'm just afraid of my mom because she is really insistent that I get a job but I'm not even able to shower most days or remember what I'm doing. 

What should I do? She says unemployment will be good because of the money but you have to be looking for a job right?

Excuse me? I'm asking for help. This is obviously not a troll post. If you don't want to help, why comment? I'm looking for advice and this is my first time ever posting about this 

"I'm 21 but my mom is pressuring me to go on unemployment but I know that means I have to actively seek a job."

That's a joke.  There are no jobs out there right now and they know it too.  How can you actively seek a job when there are no jobs out there?

The only one of their figures I agreed with was when they said the economy was down 10 million jobs and I'm sure even that figure was low-balled.  Probably more like 225 million jobs lost.  That's just politicians trying to make themselves look good right there.

• a

You can apply for unemployment, like your mom says. You will likely be asked, "Are you able, available, and willing to work?"

You are not able to work, so you will have done what your mother asked, and been disqualified. 

Find a lawyer and apply for SSDI

• $15K won't last long, specially if you're living on your own and have medical expenses / bills to pay for. 

You should be on disability, it may not give you much but at least it might help you get by. If it gets denied hire a disability claims lawyer and fight it. 

I've been on disability before (didn't have to hire a lawyer), they gave me a percentage of what I was making from my workplace at the time. I was healing from issues with my feet. I couldn't stand or walk for a few months. 

If you're on unemployment, apparently you do have to be looking for a job or laid off due to covid 19.

So good to you is committing fraud?  You don't qualify for unemployment benefits because you were fired.  Attempting to get them wrongfully, could get you in deep sh*t, with fraud charges and having to pay it all back promptly, if they advance you money in good faith, before they have a chance to check out your case.  And, you can't actively look so GIVE IT UP.  Don't mess with the IRS and Don't mess with government agencies.  Not smart.  Be honest with your mother - tell her you don't qualify and if she still harps on it, tell her to get off your back - you aren't going to face fraud charges for her.

Forget unemployment. You're right--you have to actively seek work to qualify, and that's AFTER you are approved. Instead, pursue Disability. Yes, it may take a while--but you can find one of those disability lawyers to help you with it. It's a much better bet for you. You ARE disabled. Apply. And gather your medical history documentation together first. Then, if you're disapproved the first time, find a lawyer who handles disability claims that have been turned down. Don't even try unemployment--you were fired because you could not do your job. Your chances of even getting it are slim to none. You  have valid medical reasons for disability. 

• GiGi

You need to get on SSI or SSDI (depending on which you qualify)  and don't try to do it on your own.  Find a Disability Insurance lawyer to help you fill out the forms.  The lawyer gets paid a quarter of your disability settlement.  It normally takes 2 years to get on Disability and expect multiple rejections, but when they pay they will pay you backpay to when you realized that you couldn't work.  

If you can't work, then you're not eligible for unemployment.  (In addition to looking for work, you also have to be able to work and available for work.)

You should apply for disability benefits.

• ?

i would apply for ssi , when i was applying for it i got adult financial from social services, they give you money every month while youre waiting to get approved so you dont have to work

Sounds like you might qualify for social security disability which is better than unemployment, but you'll have to fight for it. 

• ?

You can't get unemployment if you are physically unable to work.  If you are on it, you do have to be actively looking for work. Disability would seem to be your only option.  The paperwork does take awhile, but I've had the paperwork go through in as little as 2 months if the doctor will certify the applicant.