Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 month ago

How to better understand cultural appropriation? What perspective am I missing? Why is it so intense for people compared to similar issues?

I was wondering how trivializing the importance of the strength of a culture (for the people sharing it) via appropriation would affect badly either the strength of such or the dynamics in the cultures at play (however much reach those actions could have).

I assume that it doesn't affect subtle racist connotations for those in power, but still symbolize their existence, so having that leverage to point it out helps simply address such connotations.

I’m just unsure about how it could be significant or concrete enough for direct harm (despite needing the pretense to point out the wrong ideas/vile sentiments racists have).

It seemed like it's more of a USA thing - maybe I'm just not in a geographically adequate place to have acquired an appropriate perspective more spontaneously.

How could it fit any usual meanings of racism? Trying to make the connotation stronger/looser for racism seems antithetic to trying to treat the other connotations of actual racists to me.

Some articles felt so lost in abstractions or inane to me.

/I don't buy much and I'm alienated to extremes in a diversity of ways, so there's not much actions I could do that would be relevant to this. I do cook, but I just love spices and food ***and wouldn't cook for others much. So I assume that wouldn't irk people.

I've my own alienated self care symbolisms for different parts of me, but I doubt necklaces/such would be bad (I don't show them either). I do think one is bdsm/sub culture related though

Sorry for poor English, also. I only use it to write online or to think of more personal subjects at home (easier to avoid sensitive subjects while doing stuff or while interacting with others, and it's just a great language for entertainment medias).

• Foofa

There's actual "cultural appropriation", i.e. Elvis Presley stealing gospel licks and songs from black songwriters with no public acknowledgment or even royalty sharing of/with those creators... Then there's peak 2021 victimhood, i.e. slamming Bruno Mars for doing "black music while not black" even though he vomits praise for his black inspirations, seeks out black producers and musicians to work with and his entire career is a love letter to black creativity. 

• Zirp

let me give a few examples

- apple-pie and coleslaw are american inventions ( no they aren't)

- I'm Dutch, Polish and Italian but don't speak a word of the languages. (no, if you don't speak the language, the Dutch, Polish and Italians will not acknowledge you as one of their ethnicity)

- my great-aunt was a cherokee princess (no, the Native Americans never had hereditary titles)