Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

CAA charged my car’s battery yesterday, today it won’t turn on?

CAA roadside assistance guy came yesterday to charge my car’s battery and told me to leave it running for an hour. I went to drive it today and it wouldn’t turn on? What happened 

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I bet the tow truck driver didn't test the battery. 

• 1 month ago

You need a new battery. Lunk heads should have done a load test on the old battery before sending you on your way. 

• fuzzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

idling not the best way to charge up a battery. At idle the alternator puts out very few amps. Engine speed needs to be about 2000rpm to get full charging current. Typical car battery is about 80 amp hour so really needs a good hour's drive to recharge from flat.

Most likely you have a near dead battery or dirty battery terminals.

Google how to clean battery terminals & do it, buy a cheap smart battery charger & leave it on overnight. If no good in the morning replace the battery

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Idling does not charge the battery by any appreciable amount.  You would have been better off driving off to some place where you could do highway speeds and run continuously for an hour Like drive to the next town and circle back.  Then turn off the car.   If the next hour or day the car does not start then battery is not able to hold a charge anymore.(battery is 5+ years old)  You needed a new battery. $100 for a 5 yr guaranty battery.  Bend over and cough up the CASH. That is how stores conduct business.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • not
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Bad battery, bad alternator, parasitic draw, electrical problem. You need a mechanic not roadside assistance. 

• 1 month ago

Evidently the battery isn't charged. You can't charge a battery at idle speed. It would take at least driving for 3 hours with the rpms over 2000 rpm to get it charged enough to expect it to start again. That's if the battery is still good!

• 1 month ago

Have the battery load tested to see if it's used up or worth charging. They didn't charge your battery. They jump started it. Driving for an hour should have put enough charge in it that it would work today. What happened? Did you just drive straight home, a 10 minute drive? Car part stores load test batteries and test alternators too. You need that done to see what you need. They will love to sell you the same battery Walmart sells for $100 for their special, just for you price, of $200. Take a large friend with you.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The battery is dead.  Get a new one.   If the car still does not start if left overnight with a new battery, the car has a battery drain or maybe an alternator issue.  It is time to see a real mechanic for that problem.

• 1 month ago

You may have a bad battery.  charging it won't help.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

your battery is probably rooted. test the charging system and prove nothing is staying on running the battery down.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.