Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Question about the handball rule?

It seems as though the hand ball rule has changed recently, because now it seems as though ball to hand is counted as handball. I was watching a Premier league game a few days ago and a player had his arm by his side, the ball was kicked and it hit him directly on the arm, and it was given as a handball. Ball to hand never used to be counted as handball, why has it changed?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • F
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Football refereeing is going the same way as rugby. Every ref has a different interpretation of the rules and the players don’t really know what they are supposed to do.

Not that I have any sympathy for them because most PL players would sell their granny to win a penalty. They cheat so much, it serves them right when the ref wrongs them.

The rules are applied differently in the penalty area than the rest of t he pitch. Pulling and pushing is allowed , handballs are always given outside the box, and fouls are treated differently too.

• some players are getting smart with the use of their hands in situations where it will look more like it was accidental...

the classic 'oops - look at me ref, im not doing anything but I AM holding my arms like im innocent! '

and the balls hits their hand and denies/stops a potential goal scoring move.

this has happened to us on a few occasions but Im not making excuses for being so far behind City in 2nd,  we are there because we just have not been able to win as many matches.

the handball rule is dumb and needs changing.

its difficult to decide when its accidental and when its not thanks to VAR.

• 2 months ago

It is the fault of the lawmakers and VAR. Before VAR referees made sensible handball decisions but now it is being misused by the officials and the lawmakers need to act on the issue. I think VAR should only be used by the referee and not someone sitting in an office miles away.

• August
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

VAR has made a mockery of hand ball. Hopefully the rule of ball to hand/arm will not apply next season 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The referee's decision is final, they might not count an obvious handball as was the case with Maradona.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

That has now apparently changed back again you will be ........ to know 

and then you choose which word to add in the space:-

Pleased

Confused

Mortified

Relieved

lol? 

• Adam
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It was changed to take away the ambiguity behind a handball. However it's changing back next season

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It depends when the ball is handled too I think. The incident in the Fulham game was because the handball led to a goal. Accidental handball from an offensive player that leads to a goal now gets ruled out. They really need to change that it's an awful law

• lol, sry man, well to cut a massively long story short, basically because the rules are being schematically imho deviously changed to promote more goals in games...i laugh because it's getting to be ridiculous, and the most ludicrous part of all this is VAR get's the blame, even though VAR is simply an instrument, it can't make any decisions..not 1.

Edit @Adam.  Well i hear it's not changing "back" next season as such, rather each incident will be  looked at  seperately and make the best choice in that particular situation with logic, but it won't work, because  it needs a basis something that is relevant to make the decision, like hand to ball, ball to hand....but they have other ideas..p

Football one game ONE name

LFCYNWA

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.