Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

22 year old son recently signed a rental agreement he couldn't afford. How do I help him?

He got a job in another city as he wants to move there and signed a lease for a property behind our backs without telling us. He visited the place twice without us knowing to sign the agreement and started moving stuff.

Today he told us the news he was leaving home as he booked a property, but theres no way he can afford the rent! It's going to cost him almost 2/3 of his salary and he'll be living paycheck to paycheck. I'm worried he will end up homeless or in debt if something was to happen, plus he is going to do further education next year (so there's no way he can have enough left over to fund that). 

What do I do? How should I help my son get his deposit back and improve his financial situation?

27 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

If he signed a lease, Which he most certainly did, there is no way out of it unless the landlord agrees to do so. Even still, the landlord could impose a penalty.

I am surprised a landlord would rent a place w/o income verification. But, your right, once school starts, income drops. Also, he must have a good credit score to rent an apartment without a co-signer. Interesting.

Is the apartment a 2 bedroom? If so, perhaps he intends to get a roomate to help with the expenses.

The communication betwhen you and your son seems to be strained. Otherwise he would not have done this behind your back and began to nonchalantly move out. Talk to him about your concerns.

Sometimes, as hard as it maybe for us parents, it is best to allow our children ( minors and adults alike) to make mistakes and be responsible for the consequences. You may choose to step in and help him financially...maybe if he agrees to pay you back.

• 1 month ago

If the landlord is ok with it, your son can find someone else to replace him... might be hard to find someone if the place is over-priced though...

• 1 month ago

As he's an adult, what he's done is done. He now is the tenant of the apartment and must fulfill his obligations. You could talk to the landlord and hope they'll reconsider although this would strain the relationship you have with your son should he find out. He needs to mature and learn a lesson the hard way.

• garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

by not helping him , you cant get what you cant afford , its as simple as that . only a troll could ask such a dumb question ..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You can't help him unless you pay for everything, which isn't very helpful.  Your son needs to learn better financial management, and he is headed toward a disaster if he pays rent that high--but there's not much you can do. He's a legal adult. He has a right to sign whatever contracts he wants to, sensible or not. Stop hovering. He'll learn the hard way--which is actually the best way to learn anything--and he'll see that he's gotten himself in over his head with his money; but when he does, don't BAIL HIM OUT.  That's not a good way to teach him anything. 

Let your son make his own mistakes. .In that way, he'll learn hard lessons, but they will at least stick. 

• 1 month ago

He's an adult. He is bound to his agreements. Nothing YOU can do to get him out of that lease without financial penalty.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

you stay out of it - he's an adult now, lt him figure it out.

• 1 month ago

Let him make his own mistakes.  I've lived frugally with 3/4ths of my paycheck going to rent.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Landlords don't have to test if you can afford it or not, some do, some don't but there is nothing forcing them, he was supposed to decide first if he can afford it or not. Obviously the best plan is to leave before it mounts up too much and make an offer to the landlord for repayment. Forget the deposit, that could be used to repay some of the debt, they don't give it back if you owe them money. Or they might give part of it back if all costs are less than it, or they might say it's not enough, keep the lot and expect him to pay anything left.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

He's 22 not a baby. Most probably he will find a second job.

Let him live his own life.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.