Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Native English speakers, could you please help me with these issues?

Is this sentence correct:

"He did fulfill the proposed assignment."

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

"he did fulfill the proposed assignment" would be used for emphasis. So, if someone said "he didn't fulfill the proposed assignment" but you wanted to challenge that, you'd say "he did fulfill the proposed assignment."

If you don't want to emphasize, you'd say " he fulfilled the proposed assignment" instead.

However, you'll still be understood if you use these two interchangeably. 

• 1 month ago

If the assignment is "proposed" then it hasn't been done yet so he can't have fulfilled it.

There is nothing wrong with saying "fulfill the assignment," which carries more of a sense that it was done successfully. You might have completed it or finished it but done it wrong.

There is no reason to say "did fulfill" instead of "fulfilled" unless you are contrasting it with something else or contradicting someone.

"He didn't get the credit but he did fulfill the assignment."

"You're wrong, he did fulfill the assignment."

So, "He fulfilled the assignment."

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I would say, "He completed the proposed assignment."

• Craig
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Hmmm.  This is another one of those situations where certain words are associated with certain others - for no particular reason other than current usage.  (You could call it "tradition".)

For that reason, "assignments" aren't "fulfilled".  They're "completed".  Ex:  goals are achieved; contracts are fulfilled; missions are carried out, et cetera ad infinitum.

The sentence is perfectly correct in all other regards.  It would be understood immediately by any native speaker - and it wouldn't necessarily suggest that the author wasn't a native speaker.  Native speakers also often select awkward or unusual word combinations, either on purpose or due to haste.  I only mention this fine point because I'm aware that you're working hard to perfect your writing.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

😄

No.

Source(s): He completed his assignment. "Proposed" isn't necessary because an assignment is already proposed.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

'complete' makes more sense than 'fulfil'. However 'fulfil' is not incorrect.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.