Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Should I take honors Calculus and/or AP stats in my senior year of high school?

I have kinda a dilemma... since freshman year I’ve been taking honors math classes (geometry, algebra 2, and now pre-calc). Math has always been my strong spot, however, this year during pre-calc I have not been doing good at all. I still qualified for honors calc to take next year (my senior year) and I am also enrolled in AP stats. I only want to take one math class, and I would prefer AP stats just because I feel like I would really struggle in Honors Calc. But does anyone know if it would look bad if I don’t take calc my senior year and only take stats (which is known to be not that challenging of a math class). 

Also, I would have to retake calc in college anyway because the honors would not allow me to get college credits, so could AP stats look better because it’s an AP class in which I could get college credits?

Any help is appreciated I’ve tried talking with my guidance counselor but she has never responded to me and my parents are confused as well.  

I just really don’t want to mess up my grades by taking honors calc but also don’t know how me not taking it would look to colleges (ALSO: I am going to college for art/animation and possibly a minor in business!)

I had the same dilemma last year, and am currently taking AP Stats. It’s a great class. If you can, take both; however, colleges are not going to be too concerned over which you took. Whichever one you think you will excel in the most, take it!

basically, jews,buddhists,muslims pray head down to satan. during the night christian earthlybowdowns count 40 times more than daily earthlybowdowns. since, most of the time witches pray during the night against christians, it's best to pray at night ...maybe you could do 2000 christian earthlybowdowns.. notice that muslims-jews-buddhists stay head down which shows that they worship satan; christians have to get up super fast showing allegiance to Christ and not the devil. so, christian earthlybowdowns: u face east, legs together (so that demon don't run underneath ur legs); u look at the eyes of icon (energy goes ur way according to saint Pelageya of Ryazan); u make proper Orthodox sign of the cross (first three fingers together as if u had a pinch of salt in them; thumb always straight; ring and pinky to palm; firmly touch forehead: "in the name of the Father"; firmly touch 1cm above belly button: "and of the Son", raise hand to chest level and now move to right shoulder where there bones meet: "and of the Holy"; move to left shoulder: "Spirit. Amen"; release the fingers; hand down by ur side); u bow down on ur knees (knees together), then put hands together on the floor, then forehead on top of backofhands; as soon as ur forehead touches the back of hands, get up super fast showing allegiance to Christ (and not the devil). do 2000 times during the night against witches. 'cuz witches work hard for satan (by praying like three hours); you have to show them respect by outworking them; u feel me? but of course when u tired u could pray the Jesus prayer at least three times every hour (don't sleep 4 more than 1 hour; wake up and pray the Jesus prayer three times; then u can rest a little bit; in case witches pray real hard to satan, then u have to pray to Jesus as many times as possible); thank u; forgive me rudeness.

edit: chosen people = the ones that have the correct religion. orthodoxy is the only true faith with one cup and one spoon and no one gets sick. roman catholics tried one cup one spoon ritual and got sick with bubonic plague; if heresy enters orthodox monastery, then its inhabitants will get sick also. covid = another heresy; that's why disposable cups were introduced in heretical gatherings. churches who had disposable cups, masks, disposable spoons, dipped spoon into alcohol, or closed for covid = no grace of the Holy Spirit in them = they woik for satin. death to de antichrist! oh...snap... here he iz flyin' thru ma neck of de woodz; hide ur kidz, hide ur wife; antichrist is flyin' thru town; take ur glocks out and shoot dat son of a bytch down; he's an s-o-b 'cuz his mother is a 12th generation prostitute to jews and hindus; ew...he's gay 'cuz she a lesbian who pretends to be a virgin; well... project blue beam will show five figures (christian god, buddhist god, hindu god, muslim god, and jewish god) merging in2 1 (de antichrist); so, hide now (within a 7-15 people group; 10-12 according to saint seraphim of sarov; 10-15 according to saint gabriel urgebadze)... no documents as they r from satin (burn 'em); no electronics so that u won't be tracked (even old broken unplugged 1970 tv set will show de antichristo using tesla's ether); forgive me 4 dis spiel.

Source(s): Satan's chosen people want world revolution to bring in chaos, then "order out of chaos" under the evil flying antichrist from the tribe of Dan who will ride on a donkey into the Third Temple which will signify that Satan's kingdom on earth has begone. Hide your kids; hide your wife 'cuz evil flyin’ antichrist is flyin' thru town; take your glocks out and shoot that s-o-b down; he's an s-o-b 'cuz his mother is a 12th generation prostitute (according to saint Lavrentiy from Chernigov); forgive me.
  • MS

Take the AP Stats if you're only taking one.  Unless you are applying to the most elite schools, they aren't going to think twice about you not taking calculus.  You are still taking an advanced math class with the potential to earn college credit, so that will be favorably viewed by college admissions officers. 

• Dan

Take statistics. If you didn't do well in pre-calc, that's what you need to work on. In college the professor is supposed to introduce calculus assuming no prior knowledge except for a good foundation. 

• fcas80

As an art major you won't need calc in college.  Take Stat.  Everyone should know Stat, but not everyone needs to know Calc.

Do you *need* to take calculus in college? It sounds like you expect to, but it won't be necessary for an art/animation major in college (at least, at the majority of colleges).

However, many colleges will require calculus for a business minor. 

I took calculus in college without having taking it in high school, and I really struggled, despite getting high As in math throughout high school, including precalculus. Nearly all of the other students in my college calculus class had taken it in high school, and the professor really breezed over a lot of the basics.

So if you're sure that you're going to take calculus in college, it's probably a good idea to take it in high school. Better to struggle in high school and have everything in your college class be review, than to see the material for the first time in college and have the bad grade go on your college transcript. 

Can you retake pre-calculus over the summer, even if you don't "need" to? It might really help. If not, self-study, especially trig. 

If you can get away with *not* taking calculus in college, then go for statistics. The math is much easier, and it's a very good class to have just for general knowledge. 

• drip

Do not take an AP class just to get college credit. You take it for the knowledge. Take that honor or AP calculus class now will allow you to do better in a university level calculus class. Taking an AP class doesn’t get you college credit. You need to take AP exam. Some universities at require a score of 5 to get credit while others may require a 3.  Not all universities accept all AP subjects. 

So you could get score of 5 and still not receive any credit. They may allow you to skip a 100 level class instead. 

AP calculus or AP statistics both are good to take. I don’t see why you would need to take a calculus class I. College for your major or minor.   Since you don’t need calculus for your major I don’t see why you couldn’t take statistics instead. 

Your AP exam scores have nothing at all to do with your admissions. They are for possible college credit only. 

Have you taken AP art? 

I'd say take the one you're more interested in.

take AP stats.  Frankly, there are more careers out there in which stats are used than calc.  Besides, you really NEED to correct your pre-calc [at community college or college] before you take calc -- among other things, it is vital to memorize all of those trigonometric identities [via substitution of variables, they come up in calc with regularity].

Take Calculus in high school. Why?  Because it is much easier in high school than in college.

The material is the same, but the format is harder:

- Instead of 30 or so students in a high school class, you have 100 to 200 students in the university class ... much harder to ask questions during the class.  You have to seek out the professor during his office hours if you don't understand something.

- In a university class, they cover in ONE DAY what the high school teacher covers in ONE WEEK.  Much faster pace, and if you get hung up on something in a university lecture, you can get left behind.  And it is a truism in university .. once you get behind, you never get caught up over the term of that course.

So take the difficult course now while it is a slower pace and you have more access to asking questions. 

Unless you do NOT intend to EVER take Calculus in college.

I took it in college, and while I had no trouble with differential calculus, integral calculus threw me for a loop. And I have an I.Q. of 163.  Flunked integral calculus the first time I took it.

Stats, on the other hand .. quite easy. Save it for university work.