I just paid my vehicle tax last month but now I have a new car. do I have to pay tax again on the new car or can I transfer the tax payment?

Current vehicle is a 2001 honda Civic but the new car I just bought is a 2012 Honda Accord. 

AH, HA HA HAAAAA! Yes. LOL. Yep, you do. Do us a favor. Go into the DMV & ask them to transfer the tax payment. They need a good laugh, too. :)

Maybe depending on where you live

Road tax doesn't transfer any more in the UK. But you can claim most of the tax back on the car you sold or disposed of. See link. https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-refund

You pay vehicle tax on EACH car.